• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Trimble Site vision

Cummins5.9

Hi, this is my first post. I’ve been slowly looking at upgrading to gps to speed things up a little and with less and less helpers to hold grade rods. I’ve been looking at grumbles older site vision system and was wondering if anyone had any experience with it and how well it works. We are a small contractor and would be looking to put it on a dozer and grader.

Thanks in advance

xkv8tor

We had a site vision system on a Deere 750C and coming from not having GPS to having it was really eye opening and helpful. That system is getting to be fairly old and Trimble supports it less and less. It will only run off of a base station and not VRS its accuracy is sometimes questionable and it does not use the GLONASS satellites. Replacement parts are also getting harder to find. Seems like I have made this system out to be useless but it is not, it's just not as accurate and full of bells and whistles like the newer GCS 900 or the new Trimble Siteworks.

Good luck and hope this was helpful.

Cummins5.9

I have a few more questions for you if you don’t mind?

First is did you create your own gps models for your projects if so what did you use?

Second is as far as I can tell it will run off a newer base station correct?

The reason I ask this is if I can buy a newer base and rover system that will run the gcs900. Then I can always upgrade to that later when I was ready.

We don’t do huge dirt jobs right now but we are steadily growing towards bigger jobs and my thinking on it is I’d be better off move towards gps while my jobs are smaller and simpler to create models for and to get the hang of during the systems. Do you think this would be a decent system for waterways, building pads, parking lots and ponds.

Thanks again

xkv8tor

We do create some basic models (building pad, road sub grade with common slope, etc.) for this we use Trimble Business Center. The more complex sites we can still generate the model through Business Center as long as the data from the engineers is good. The more complex jobs I will generally send to my local Sitech dealer and possibly have them do some takeoffs and review the data to make sure it is accurate. Yes the Site Vision will run off the newer base station as long as your machine has the correct radio with right frequency and your machine display has the latest software update (I think it's 5.5). System will build what ever you want it to, as long as you have good data and satellite signal. We generally would eat late lunch 1–2 because that's when we would have the most signal trouble. Not sure who your Sitech dealer would be but I would try to work with them on getting setup and making sure you have what you need to get started. They also rent base stations you could at least try it out to see what you think before you go spend $50,000 on a base and rover.

Xkv8tor

Cummins5.9

Okay well I’m back with a few more questions I’m having a hard time get much help from SITECH.

First are these systems setup kind of like the newe systems where they have main fall sensors and rotation sensors and if so will the newer sensors work with this system?

And does anyone know where to get the different wiring harnesses need for the system?

I’m trying to get this setup for basically indication only and then if I decided to move into a newer system I’d look in to ful blade control. So right now I really am just trying to get to where I don’t need so much stake and I can see where the blade is in relation to the grade of that job.

Thanks again for any help

jaclo

Okay well I’m back with a few more questions I’m having a hard time get much help from SITECH.

Get used to it. It's early spring in the US, people are getting going on jobs, and my rep thinks now is a good time to send their techs/support guys on a training excursion. I mean seriously, what the f**k?

First are these systems setup kind of like the newe systems where they have main fall sensors and rotation sensors and if so will the newer sensors work with this system?

Not sure I understand this question.

And does anyone know where to get the different wiring harnesses need for the system?

I understand what you're trying to do here, and I'm telling you, be careful. You go to piecing together a system with parts that aren't compatible and you don't know it until you have $20k sunk into the deal, you're gonna regret it. Unfortunately the Sitech folks understandabley arent much for helping you do this type of thing, because they obviously want to sell you a new setup.

I’m trying to get this setup for basically indication only and then if I decided to move into a newer system I’d look in to ful blade control.

There are different codes injected into the displays based on what capabilities you want out of it, all of which vary in price. For example, indicate only costs less money than full control, also the price varies if it is on just one machine, IE you could only put it on your dozer, or all machines, IE you could put it on dozer/grader/excavator.

Something you may look into is full blade control laser setup. Sometimes I wish I had that instead of satellite guidance as it is better for working around buildings and trees and tends to actually be more accurate.

Don't be afraid to walk away from Trimble either. Give the Topcon guys a call and tell them what the majority of your jobs entail and make them work with your budget.