• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Trimmers. Which to Purchase?

JD9520

Looking to buy a trimmer. Would like to have something to trim at 15-16' Wide. I know CMI and Gomaco makes them, but which one is better? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

milling_drum

Occupation
asphalt mill operator (ret)
There was another Fella on here name a Bean...was lookin for info on a trimmer and got no replies atall...

Buster F

My company has been running Roadtec RX 10's (or Carlson CP 1220 if you prefer) for about 15 years. I personally average 1200 - 1300 hrs a year running one and can say that in the right hands it is a very productive machine. The majority of our work is in the city of Boston and our trimmers take a heck of a beating on a daily basis resulting in fairly frequent breakdowns (mostly hydraulic lines and drum shafts), because of this we bring two trimmers to each job so as to not kill production. I have a post in the "square yardage" thread describing my only interaction with another brand of trimmer i had a few years back. Its my opinion that some trimmers are best suited and designed for city work with alot of steel, gutters, radius's to trim while others are best suited for more open work such as beveling lips, trimming guard rails, and cutting keyways. I guess depending on your scope of work the only way to find which one is best for you is to demo all of them. Good luck, Roy

milling_drum

Occupation
asphalt mill operator (ret)
Hey Buster, I'm not a 100% sure but I think JD means grade trimmers, not the type we are used too.

Those things they use to level gravel and base before a huge concrete paver does its thing...

andoman

When I worked for a concrete company a while ago we ran gomaco's. They were nice machines, but I'm not sure if they make a 15' machine.

Buster F

My bad guys i thought maybe it was a typo and he was looking for a 15" trimmer - makes more sense now:thumbsup