• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Vermeer S650TX, options for drive motor replacement

JeffMiniSkid

Hi group,

I am new to this forum so I apologize if this is in the wrong location etc.

The hydraulic drive motor for the track is out on one side and the quote for replacement I'm getting from Vermeer just isn't doable (around $4500). I'm curious if anyone has done a similar job and what my options are like.
1) are there after-market motors available? If so, where?
2) does anyone refurbish these types of motors?
3) the dealer recommended replacing both at the same time, how necessary is that?
Any other thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated. I'm happy to provide any other info that might be useful.

I'm in Austin, TX btw

PeterG

Occupation
Landscape Construction, General Contractor
Jeff,
Your only options may be to take it one step at a time. First, are you sure it's the motor, and not just a hydraulic hose, hose fitting issue? If you're sure it's the motor, then the next step may be to remove it. You could try and find someone less expensive than the dealer, but you should be able to do it yourself. I would suspect you would not need to remove the engine. The job basically is removing parts in the way, then the motor. This may involve access from the rear and removing the battery, possibly the fuel tank, etc. Then disconnect the hoses to the pump and label them. Be sure to plug the hoses so that the fluid does not get contaminated. Once the pump is removed then your options are to buy a new OEM pump, or take it some place for rebuilding. I would use the same make and model pump and not go with something else. I don't see why you need to do both.
Finish with a new hydraulic filter and add hydraulic oil. Do you have the service manual and parts diagram?

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
Depending on the make of the motor parts could be available to refurbish it. If you have reasonable mechanical skills it's a job you can do yourself at a fraction of what a new motor costs. A clean environment is essential and after assembly and before starting the machine fill it with oil.
As always confirm that it's the motor that has failed and not the output shaft.

Last edited:

JeffMiniSkid

Thanks for the input so far guys.
I am fairly certain it is the motor. The mechanics at the Vermeer dealer did some diagnostics and that was their conclusion, of course they also tried to tell me I need to replace both motors at the same time -- only $9K.
After a little research it seems to be a Parker brand motor, 24cu in, TH series, and one of the local shops says that they are able to refurbish those types, so that might be the route I go. I'll post an update when I figure out more.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
3) the dealer recommended replacing both at the same time, how necessary is that?
Often when a drive motor cr@ps itself big style it spreads contamination all through the drive system, obviously this includes the other motor, the pump, & controls. If the drive system and implement hydraulics share the same tank then contamination fromn a failed motor can potentially spread everywhere throughout the machine.
There is also the possibility that if one motor failed then the other one may be in a similar condition as regards wear, and therefore on the point of failing, if they were both installed at the same time.
As a minimum the non-failed motor really should be opened up, checked, cleaned, and re-sealed. My 2c, YMMV.

brian rusthoven

Hi group,

I am new to this forum so I apologize if this is in the wrong location etc.

The hydraulic drive motor for the track is out on one side and the quote for replacement I'm getting from Vermeer just isn't doable (around $4500). I'm curious if anyone has done a similar job and what my options are like.
1) are there after-market motors available? If so, where?
2) does anyone refurbish these types of motors?
Any other thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated. I'm happy to provide any other info that might be useful.

I'm in Austin, TX btw
I have the same issue on my S600tx. how did you resolve your issue