• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Volume of irregular rectangle

CSM

I need to calculate the volume of a rectangle; however the surface is not even it slopes from right to left and front to back. I am not sure the best way to calculate the fill needed, any ideas? I have all the dimensions I was going to try CAD however we only have 2000lt and I don't think it supports
3-d drawings. HELP please!

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
You're going to have to make yourself a drawing and start working out the geometry. Square off the rectangle where you can and from what you describe you should be left with triangles on the bottom. Figure the area of the triangle, 1/2 height x width, then multiply by the length and you'll get the volume of the triangle.

If you're triangle varies from end to end, take a few points along the way and average them out, then multiply times length. It should get you close.