• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Volvo a25c gearbox problems

D1ESEL

Looking for opinions on an A25C gearbox. GKN manufactured gearbox.

Dumper will go into forward and reverse but will not shift up through the gears. Box has had the oil removed, although dirty oil no metallic contamination found. Oil filter cleaned and re-fitted. No difference. However on the over run going down hill it WILL shift up through the gearbox.

Local plant company insists on wanting to fit a reconditioned gearbox they have on the shelf @ £7500 ($11,500).

This gearbox must have been used in different aplications. £7500 seems a lot of money when our 'knackered' gearbox is going to be an exchange unit. What could possibly cost £7500 inside that gearbox!

GKN manufactured gearbox.

A few thoughts of the top of my head: My first thought is there must be a valve body inside the gearbox that controls the clutch packs through solenoid valves and pressure. This I assume can be removed/reconditioned. I know it is not a lot of money to have an automotive valve body reconditioned.

Any ideals welcome!!

cps

Occupation
plant mechanic
Hi There, there is a part called a potensiometer on the engine that tells the box when to change! sounds as if its out of range! it has a small linkage connecting it to the injector pump,
it has 2 spud type things on the body of it and a lever pointing up wards that has linkage connect to! the lever has to be at 2 oclock when idling and 10 oclock when flatout! (or vice versa not sure)
the fact that you say it changes going down hill is pointing me that way!

Hope that helps

Aiden

billythebairn

Occupation
engineer
Hi, as aiden says the linkage on the potentiometer ball ends wear allowing it to move out of alignment, this can be adjusted or ball ends replaced as req, check wiring to unit also, if this is no help I would suggest getting a Volvo engineer to check as old 25c had many a wiring fault in harness, this may save you money as the box may be ok.

stevenatkinson

Occupation
Business owner
Hey fellas
We have a 1999 A 40 that has lost drive it feels like it is engaging a gear as there is slight movement in the prop to the Dropbox.
It will select reverse but will not come back to neutral.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Steve