• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Volvo FC2924C showing "Warning: Turn off engine. Engine error."

Jinajon

The machine is a Volvo FC2924C, which I believe is just an EC240 plonked onto an EC290 undercarriage in the factory for forestry work.

Maybe a bit hard to start, but seems to operate normally. Shortly after startup the main caution lights up and the whole screen is taken up by a message saying "Warning: Turn off engine. Engine error." I can't dismiss the message.

I can't find a fault code, and after a bit of trawling around the internets I couldn't find a service manual, fault-finding guide, or anything else.

Any tips on this one?

Jinajon

Any idea where the diagnostic port is hiding? Thinking of dumping a couple of grand on a scan tool...

Attachments

• IMG_5802.jpeg
    IMG_5802.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_5785.jpeg
    IMG_5785.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 10

sfrs4

Occupation
parts admin
the diagnostic port should be under the radio, as for the error message, unless you can get to the original fault code ( have you tried to look before switching the engine on? ) then that is just a generic shut down message to prevent any further damage

Attachments

• Exc Vcads port.pdf
    163.8 KB · Views: 11

Jinajon

The only error code that shows up in the menu is a cooling fan failure which has apparently been there for years. The extra hydraulic cooling fan shat itself years ago, so 99% sure its that. The main hydraulically run cooling fan runs fine.

That location under the radio is empty, but it may have fallen down behind. I'll check next time I'm out there.

Jinajon

Good info thanks mate. I'll have a crack at service mode and see if I can get any further information from there.

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
I would suggest entering service mode. Pull up the engine values. Monitor rail pressure. Start engine. Please report or record the rail pressure and RPM . I'm guessing you're having an issue with fuel. It doesn't log an error but does shut the machine down. Volvos tech tool won't pick it up either since no error is generated.
The most common failure is one or more injectors has excessive drain to tank which drops your rail pressure. The machine doesn't know how to deal , it assumes a fuel leak, so it shuts down

Jinajon

There's a bunch of faults, but the only ones which are active are the cooling fan which I can ignore, and PSID96-01. Rail pressure and engine rpm are fluctuating a lot. Rail pressure varied wildly from 300 to 950 bar.

Incidentally I can't dismiss the warning message no matter what I do. I have to restart and hope that it takes a while to reoccur so I can fault find.

Attachments

• IMG_5926.jpeg
    IMG_5926.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 4

sfrs4

Occupation
parts admin
Fault mode PSID96
FMI 1
Detection conditions:The engine control unit (E-ECU) registers: that the rail pressure control is not working correctly
Rail pressure sensor negative deviation
The FCV tries to increase the fuel rail pressure by positive compensation of the fuel supply to the pumps, and exceeds the higher limit for allowed compensation.

Symptom:
○ Red central warning
○ Alarm sounds continuously
○ "Warning" screen
○ Max. speed is limited to 1100 rpm by the engine protection function
○ Low power because of engine protection

Possible causes:
○ Rail pressure limiter stuck open
○ Defective fuel control valve.
○ Defective rail pressure sensor
○ Defective injectors
○ Pressure relief valve locked in open position
○ High pressure leakage
○ Low pressure circuit

I would lean towards the PRV and or the sensor, these now come as kit from Volvo your part number 20973777 , but i'm sure FWF will be along shortly with a more thorough explanation.

Attachments

• fuel system.pdf
    127 KB · Views: 8

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
In my experience, I've had one PRV fail. That was in a machine that had DEF cross contamination. As I mentioned before, if one or more injectors are bleeding fuel back to tank, the PRV can't compensate, it assumes fuel leak and shuts down for safety.
How many hours on your machine, and honestly, has there been water contamination? These little injectors have zero tolerance for moisture.
Let's go back a step further. When were your fuel filters last serviced? Are they factory filters? I have had more problems with "will fit" and "meets OEM" filters than i care to mention. Cheap starting point.
If you have already spun a set on, we can move forward. Depending on your experience, you could go one of 2 ways. You could try to isolate the leaking injector, or you could replace the whole 6 pack. I will say, I have never gotten a satisfactory result from replacing one or two. You always wind up chasing down a companion within a week or two. Just my experience but your results might be different. I will look for the proper and safe method to isolate drain back and post it up. That is If SFRS4 don't beat me to it. That dudes quick on prosis.
Good luck

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
Please see attached, I will find specs later. BTW, if you have a partner unplug the FCV while engine is running, it will go full rail pressure for 30 seconds before shutting down. This is good to test safety valve on end of rail. Note, this valve has a life expectancy of 200 seconds. So don't abuse it.

Attachments

• measuring return flow.pdf
    537 KB · Views: 11
  • test fitting E2030.pdf
    302 KB · Views: 9
  • test fitting E2032.pdf
    216 KB · Views: 7

Jinajon

Bloody hell, you guys are awesome.

Last night, after we found the PSID96-01 code, we did a bit of fault finding. The engine wiring loom looks very tired. Broken backshells all over the place, melted spi-wrap, etc. The fuel rail pressure sensor loom has been previously modified (obviously a broken wire somewhere), so they've bypassed it very nicely with a Deutsch connector and new wire run directly back to the E-ECU. I checked the signals in line and I have a very nice 0.3 ohm Gnd, 5.00VCC, and a return signal voltage that deviates exactly proportionally to the fuel rail pressure fluctuations. So I'm fairly certain that the pressure sensor is good and E-ECU readings are accurate.

At 17,000hrs, she's getting toward EOL. I'm unsure about water contamination in its previous life, but I know it has been fully serviced by a professional crowd for its whole life. I doubt they would ever have fitted non-genuine parts. I'm sure they know how much common rail loves water ...

You could try to isolate the leaking injector, or you could replace the whole 6 pack.
Same logic as ignition modules on petrol; if one goes, just replace the whole lot.

unplug the FCV while engine is running
We were going to try this, but I wasn't game! Good info. We were on the money last night, and figured out/guessed the fuel system pretty accurately. The HP Pumps look newer than the surrounding engine, and I was told that the FCU solenoid and rail pressure sensor have been replaced in the last year. So we figured that the most likely/logical failures were what we guessed was a pressure relief valve in the end of the rail, or the injectors as suggested initially by FWF.

I'll find out when the filters were done last, and do some more fault-finding. See if I can isolate either the injectors or the PRV as the fault.

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
If the safety valve were defective, you'd probably never exceed 8k psi. Disconnect the drain at the rail end where the safety dumps to, shouldn't leak a drop. Be careful, injection hazard is real, you can't get treated quick enough. Good luck and be safe

Jinajon

Six new genuine Bosch injectors later and the first test run was smooth as a baby's bum. Rail pressure does still vary, but less wildly, and not as extreme. Variation was between 350-600 bar at idle, which is above minimum spec of 300 bar.

IMG_6065.JPG

Rail pressure varied wildly from 300 to 950 bar.
Incidentally, for future searchers: the rail pressure did occasionally drop below 200 bar. When this occured, the fault code would pop and warning would appear.

I've got a couple of thousand cubic meters of gravel to shift, so it'll get a proper test shortly anyway.

Many thanks for the help guys, it's much appreciated!!