• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Walking tracked equipment on road

suladas

Had a new one today, demoing a house in a upper neighborhood so as usual dealing with tons of people who think they are someone and of course it was eventful, besides for the next door neighbor coming out and videoing the side of their house as I was demoing, and with the house half way down bitching about a few scraps falling into their yard and when it would be cleaned up.

Someone called bylaw because we were having bin trucks come in the front and blocking the sidewalk while loading. City doesn't like it unless you cannot get in the rear, which there was no way it was happening with people having their vehicles on the edge of the alley everywhere. By the time bylaw shows up bins are gone but they still decide to provide a ton of stupid warnings the one that got me was word for word "it is a violation to drive a tracked vehicle on a city roadway" $250 fine. I've never in my life heard of this, absolutely EVERYONE runs their hoes down the alleys/streets because i'm not aware of anyone having the budget for a helicopter. A very rare job that's on a corner or wide street can jackknife across sidewalk and unload that way (but need multiple permits for that). It just baffles me how stupid the city has got, especially with infills and why every builder I deal with has about had enough with it, bylaw tried to claim they could write 5 tickets.

New construction you can walk a machine a few blocks down the road leaving heaps of mud everywhere, leave a 10' deep excavation not fenced or anything, flip every neighbor off and the city couldn't careless. On a infill if one person whines about some dust the city is ready to write 10 tickets.

JLarson

Occupation
Owner- civil and heavy repair/fab company
Yeah, heaven forbid their potholed third world looking asphalt get a couple scuffs on it from someone working, aka paying for the damn city. I hate code enforcement wienies.

suladas

Yeah, heaven forbid their potholed third world looking asphalt get a couple scuffs on it from someone working, aka paying for the damn city. I hate code enforcement wienies.

The irony is, if the roads were in half decent shape the tracks wouldn't even mark the asphalt. If I walk the machine across perfectly smooth stuff once you sweep it you've never know it was there. Even in this case after a good rain you'd never know it was there. Problem is the city doesn't see it that way, too many bylaw people are on a power trip.

Bumpsteer

Occupation
Mechanical designer
Never worried about roading the trackhoe during weight restrictions....to heavy to move on the lowboy but ok to road. Still lmao about going across the highway overpass.

Ed

JLarson

Occupation
Owner- civil and heavy repair/fab company
The irony is, if the roads were in half decent shape the tracks wouldn't even mark the asphalt. If I walk the machine across perfectly smooth stuff once you sweep it you've never know it was there. Even in this case after a good rain you'd never know it was there. Problem is the city doesn't see it that way, too many bylaw people are on a power trip.

Well none of em have ever run a broom or been a lever monkey so they wouldn't know.

Jimothy

Occupation
Digger
If it’s 250$ for tracked machine on roadway then we would be bankrupt. Usually they leave us alone anyways because we make the roads lol

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
If it’s 250$ for tracked machine on roadway then we would be bankrupt. Usually they leave us alone anyways because we make the roads lol
Depends on the guy making the ticket. City here never enforced any late penalties within reason. New city clerk took it on himself to point out how much money they could recoup if a contractor went past the deadline. When the city engineer said he had no intention of enforcing late contracts within reason, the clerk took the matter to council, forcing the engineering dept to collect late fees.

Jimothy

Occupation
Digger
Depends on the guy making the ticket. City here never enforced any late penalties within reason. New city clerk took it on himself to point out how much money they could recoup if a contractor went past the deadline. When the city engineer said he had no intention of enforcing late contracts within reason, the clerk took the matter to council, forcing the engineering dept to collect late fees.
Ouch, that is true though all our inspectors from the city don’t really care what we do as long as things are going smooth but if someone goes above them then ya there forced to follow the rules haha

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
It seems like that country above the USA should be renamed Canadastan. We have the same power trippers here as well, probably went to the same school.

Tinkerer

It would be interesting if that city really is an ordnance prohibiting tracked machines on the streets.
I have seen track-hoes do some real damage to asphalt roads when turning.
The contractors I worked for rarely ever went on paved roads with tracked machines without putting down protection for them to run on.
Usually it was tires. Sometimes lumber or conveyor belting.

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
I have seen tyres do more damage to roads than if the machine had travelled on bear tracks. The tyre's left circles In the pavement and the local authority wasn't amused. However they were the ones who insisted that it be done so the repair was on them.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Had a new one today, demoing a house in a upper neighborhood so as usual dealing with tons of people who think they are someone and of course it was eventful, besides for the next door neighbor coming out and videoing the side of their house as I was demoing, and with the house half way down bitching about a few scraps falling into their yard and when it would be cleaned up.

Someone called bylaw because we were having bin trucks come in the front and blocking the sidewalk while loading. City doesn't like it unless you cannot get in the rear, which there was no way it was happening with people having their vehicles on the edge of the alley everywhere. By the time bylaw shows up bins are gone but they still decide to provide a ton of stupid warnings the one that got me was word for word "it is a violation to drive a tracked vehicle on a city roadway" $250 fine. I've never in my life heard of this, absolutely EVERYONE runs their hoes down the alleys/streets because i'm not aware of anyone having the budget for a helicopter. A very rare job that's on a corner or wide street can jackknife across sidewalk and unload that way (but need multiple permits for that). It just baffles me how stupid the city has got, especially with infills and why every builder I deal with has about had enough with it, bylaw tried to claim they could write 5 tickets.

New construction you can walk a machine a few blocks down the road leaving heaps of mud everywhere, leave a 10' deep excavation not fenced or anything, flip every neighbor off and the city couldn't careless. On a infill if one person whines about some dust the city is ready to write 10 tickets.

What is bylaw?

Tugger2

All houses to be demo d should have to sit for a period of 5 years. This would let an adequate cover of weeds and brambles develop to allow rats and crack heads to to move in . After the 5 year waiting period city officials should be close to having the proper permits ready and pressure from the adjoining neighbors will make it much easier for the contractor to complete the work.At this point the city may even buck up for the cost allowing the taxpayer to foot the bill after the landowner has thrown up his hand s in disgust and left. Gotta love the f***ing bureaucracy we tolerate