• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Wanted: Looking to buy a international T340 dozer

topgut

Hi Folks,
Looking to buy a T340 International dozer in working condition. Im in northeast PA.

Delmer

WHY? there are so many better dozers out there. Maybe I'm biased from a junk one.

topgut

Looking for one for light work that i can put a 3 pt hitch and pto on.
Don't need a Euclid to move it around.

Welder Dave

That could be hard to find. JD had some dozers with a 3pt. hitch and PTO. I think there was even a Cat D3B with a 3pt. and PTO in a thread on here several years ago. It had a 1000 RPM PTO and bush hog on the back.

topgut

Thanks for the input. It can be created. From what I have read the 340 Int. industrial tractor is the same PTO unit. There were tons of them here cutting the highways years ago. Lots in the bone yards.

topgut

Is there any truth that the diesel engine in the TD340 was a poorly engineered engine?

Welder Dave

There's a reason they are in the bone yards. As in years ago yeah but that's 60 or so years ago. There are better choices to look for. Undercarriage is the biggest issue on any crawler. I don't know if you can get new undercarriage parts for old IH machines.

topgut

Can you give me a alternative that does not require a new mortgage? Im almost 60.

Welder Dave

It would cost you more to fix up an old 340 than to buy something that actually ran and worked decent. What do you want to do with it and what is your budget? For a 3pt. you're probably much better off with a rubber tire tractor.

topgut

Thanks Dave. I have several tractors. I want to be able to drag a log out of wet places and keep my atv trails on my property tidy. I have considered a Cletrac/Oliver oc3 or oc4 also since they are small and can get into tight places. The rubber tacked tractors on Alibaba.com inspired me but we cant have them here but the rest of the world can.

Welder Dave

I think a compact 4 wheel drive tractor would be a better option, maybe a skid steer. Any crawler is a money pit. I wouldn't buy a Chinese machine with no support. Something goes wrong and you've got a big expensive boat anchor. It doesn't sound like you have the budget for a CTL. I have a tractor, skid steer and track loader. The tractor is the oldest by far but the most reliable machine I own. It's a very popular model so most parts are still available if I need something.

topgut

Thank you for the advice. I have a JD 790 AWD TLB. I may be better off renting a tracked skid steer with a dozer blade on it from time to time instead. Lets see what falls from the cyber universe.
I have a ravine that I will need to pull logs from some time. looking ahead. Will be saw milling in retirement before I know it.

Welder Dave

A dozer blade on a skid steer or CTL is one of the most useless attachments there is. They might work OK for clearing snow or pushing loose material like topsoil but for digging harder ground they don't work at all like an actual dozer. Almost impossible to get a level surface in packed material. There are several others on here who share the same sentiments. Case has a new Minotaur tracked machine with a special designed dozer that is not at all similar to a standard dozer blade attachment. Probably too big and too expensive to rent. What about renting a mini excavator to clean your ravine?

topgut

I have a Komatsu PC28UU-2E 6000# mini ex. Its good but acting up right now probably due to a broken wire or potentiometer problem. I have given that some thought but it is a small machine.

Welder Dave

Just spotted this: New Holland Tk4030 for sale in NY.
That looks like an interesting machine. How much are they asking? Is there any local dealer support for it? It doesn't look to have a dozer blade attachment so it's biggest benefit is it will drive on softer, wetter ground. If your ground will support a skid steer or 4 wheel drive tractor you'd save on undercarriage costs.

topgut

They are asking $35000 in central NY. Thats way out of budget for me. The MRS would make head and rolling pin one. NH does support the newer track machines coming out of Italy I believe.
They are everywhere there for hilly orchard use.