• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Water in the Hydraulic fluid question

wheel10

Bought a 2014 T770 at auction. Basically sight unseen. Got a good price and took a chance. Machine runs great and functions as it should. However, when I decided to swap change all the fluids, I noticed there was water in the fluid. Upon closer inspection, I found the top of the hydraulic reservoir cap had been broken off, and just the threads/plug were left. Furthermore the bottom of the cap had detached from the threads so any water that got in the recess of that plug would end up in the reservoir tank. Fortunately I have a good relation with the auction house and they gave me the number of the man who owned it previously. He was very straight forward and willing to make it right. He said it broke off probably 200-300 hours ago. He thought with the threads and bottom still in there, it would be water tight. Which I guess I get a little, if you didn't know that the threads had detached from the plug bottom. I ran 15 gallons of hydro through it until the oil looked real clean. Machine looks to have had a relatively easy life. Everything is tight and in really good shape for 10 years old.

Questions are

Is this machine now a ticking time bomb with water having been in there for that long? Like I said, everything runs as far as I can tell like new right now. No issues currently.

Anything else I should or can do to eliminate any remaining water in the system? Hard when I just keep basically cutting it in half each drain out.

Thanks

Arny L

Any water in hydraulic systems is not good news. I guess it depends on how much and for how long, It can break down additives and form corrosion, thereby leaving critical surfaces unprotected. Did you inspect hydraulic filter, was the old oil cloudy. You could have the old and the new oil analyzed for water ppm content. I think there is a spec on what's tolerable.