• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

weight station

gmc2500

i have a 3/4 ton truck and i haul a 20ft gooseneck and was wondering if i have the trailer loaded with equipment do you have to stop at the weight statioins. ive heard people say that you dont then i heard others say you do just wondering.

lamarbur

Charter Member
Occupation
part time excavator/backhoe operator
At the Union Ct scale, if you drive by, it won't be but two hundred yards. They have a fleet of cruisers each time the scale is open., They go after the little "adventure in moving U-Hauls and everything else.. We all go over the scale and so far I found as long as you do, and under 14MPH, they let you move on. At 15 MPH, it automatically triggers the red light and in you go.

lamarbur

Charter Member
Occupation
I can't give you a straight answer to this because it comes down to "interpretation" by the local state or local police. Here in my area, I have a 12,000 pound Bri-Mar trailer., As such, any trailer over 10,000 GVW requires a CDL or supplement to your license. For me, I would cross the scale anyway.. Most areas, I do believe really don't push the issue and probably will let you drive by. Best thing to do is call your local state police and Dpt of transportation. Ask them the same questions, and thereby, you will know how they "interpret" the laws in your district..

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
Most areas, I do believe really don't push the issue and probably will let you drive by.
I'm surprised to hear that from someone who deals with Connecticut DOT. Drive by one of their weigh stations and you'll get a special invitation to join their party! Trouble is it won't be very festive!:(

chipsearthworks

Occupation
self employed
gmc2500 said:
i have a 3/4 ton truck and i haul a 20ft gooseneck and was wondering if i have the trailer loaded with equipment do you have to stop at the weight statioins. ive heard people say that you dont then i heard others say you do just wondering.

Since It does not take that long to go through the station any ways why not just go through it and then you would be safe instead of driving by and like Steve said be invited to the very stern and not pleasent party. Better to be safe then sorry.

When I tow my dump trailer and Pass a station in Ct I stop 9 times out of ten they wave me by but that tenth time is when i decided not to stop and then they come find me and with the recent traffic accident involving a dump truck in ct ( I am sure some of you know what I am talking about) A friend from State PD told me they are going to be cracking down on any one towing a trailer,hauling loads, and driving any trucks that look to be hauling anything

So just some friendly advice just stop.

lamarbur

Charter Member
Occupation
I'm surprised to hear that from someone who deals with Connecticut DOT. Drive by one of their weigh stations and you'll get a special invitation to join their party! Trouble is it won't be very festive!
Steve,
I am referring to other areas of the country that I am told, do not push the issue. Certainly not talking about Ct..

DKinWA

Charter Member
Occupation
Biologist and Contractor
Around here, all the stations have signs before the off ramp saying "vehicles over 16,000 GVW stop at scales when open". Or something to that affect, so I don't stop if the vehicle I'm driving is rated under 16,000 GVW.

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed
Driving from Elgin, IL. to Seattle last spring I stoped at every scale that was open in our street sweeper (Elgin Air Cub) and was laughed at as they waved me by. My wife thought it was fun to see there responce so she had me go out of my way to stop at them all. The sweeper was rated at 14500# but they I am sure none of the DOT people knew that. Next month we get to do it all over again but this time from DC area to Seattle. I think my wife is going to try to take pictures of there faces as we have them flag us through.