• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

welding cutting edge

Delmer

Assuming this is a worn out old bolt on cutting edge, it will be a higher carbon steel, possibly with some abrasion resistant alloying additives, and will not weld normally. It may weld fine, acceptably, or fail unexpectedly. You can try it with normal 60xx or 70xx rod and test the result to see how it fails. Another option would be SS like 308 etc. or a high nickle rod. Again, I'd test it to see how it fails before risking busted knuckles and a lot of wasted time on a tool that might fail.

Being unknown used steel, you never know exactly what went into it to start with. I've had welds on cutting edges fail miserably, and then a worn cutting edge that I actually butted to the bottom of the "moldboard" of a three point blade and welded, has held so far.

A picture of what you're attempting might help with better suggestions.

Deanoo

Thanks a lot Delmer I think I have used nickle before to weld a piece of cutting edge to the teeth of my backhoe to make a scraper and the cutting edge broke , the scraper is still one the teeth so it seem like the nickle may work thanks have a good one

terex herder

Use 500f preheat regardless of rod, and low hydrogen rod will increase your chances at lower cost than nickel.

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
I've welded cutting edge with low hydrogen electrodes (7018 to 11018) with no major problems, but the weld will always be the weak area.
A high nickel weld material is high strength, but pretty costly, unless you've picked up surplus welding consumables cheap.

Deanoo

I've welded cutting edge with low hydrogen electrodes (7018 to 11018) with no major problems, but the weld will always be the weak area.
A high nickel weld material is high strength, but pretty costly, unless you've picked up surplus welding consumables cheap.
Great info thanks

Welder Dave

Buy some high strength specialty rods designed for spring steel and hard to weld alloys if you want the best chance of success. They are 120 to 130,000 tensile strength. They are pricey but they come in 1 or 2lb packages. Preheat to 400 deg's is preferred. 312 stainless rods are similar but not usually available in small packages. Harris super missle weld is one example but there are several brands. Every brand that makes specialty rods has them. They are stainless based. Rods designed for broken bolts are usually the same thing.