• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Western Star Log Trucks

Paystar

Occupation
Retired trucking owner/operator
I wanted to post this here instead of in the trucks section as there are a lot of B.C. loggers on here and you all seem to have a lot of great pics.
Being that White/Western Star's were built in B.C. and were always advertised as "born to log", does anyone have pics of the older B.C. built Stars at work?
I'd really like to see some older White Western Stars from the 70's and 80's.

lowbed driver

crap I gotta figure out how to post pics. I have pics of 72,74 and 76 W.Stars I drove(dumps and a dump converted to logger) as well as an 87/88 dump and a tractor of same vintage.

CRAFT

Occupation
30 yrs Owner/Operator
I have a ton of those kind of pics … BUT ….. they are still stuck on my 35mm negative strips or in photo 4"x6" format ….. one of these days I will be able to organize and put them into Digital form …….

Don't Forget to "Check-Out" the HEF Sister Site HTF (HeavyTruckForums.Com) ……………. cheers

Doug1966

Occupation
Woodworker
Western Star Logger

Hi, thought I would get this started with a table top Truck. '70's White Western Star with an Arctic Tandem pole trailer. Thanks Doug

Paystar

Occupation
Nice model. Very impressive. Did you build that Doug? I've got a 2013 4900 Star....but I really like the styling of those old 70's Stars. I think they had some of the nicest paint schemes back then too.
Figured there would be more pics of them from B.C. All I ever read was how popular they were.

Blk prince

Occupation
Truck driver semi retired
Although they are not really old my company has three stars that are used only as yard dogs. Two are 1994 one one is 1995. They have Cummins N14,18 speed trans and 46000 rear ends.all are day cabs and keep on ticking

Doug1966

Occupation
Woodworker
Hi,Yes I did build it. The owner's kids had it made for him as a x-mas present. Thanks Doug.

Dave Hadden

Occupation
Retired.
Can't help with any logging truck pics but here's one of my Dad's 1947 White flatdeck he shortened up four feet then built a camper on the back, back in the '50's.
That's me as mighty hunter.
The truck was originally owned by Dairyland and designed to carry pallets of dairy products.
Dad bought it and added a new deck with a roller so he could haul lumber from up near Boston Bar down to Burnaby and then made an early RV out of it.
Tons of fun camping with that thing and it was the first ever non-four wheel drive vehicle to drive through from Squamish to Lilloet back about 1960 or so.
Dad and my Stepmother did it and the story was written up in the newspaper at Lilloet owned by Ma Barker.

Take care.

Paystar

Occupation
Cool Dave. Especially that your Dad made it into an RV after working it way back then. Bet you wish you had that truck now eh?

Hank R

Occupation
Retired Truck driver and School bus driver
Here are a few Western Star trucks here in Princeton, 1st K & M Star was new in January, the other K & M truck is a few years old.

J Passmore Star at the K & M shop

Fred had bad luck with his year old Star the reach broke right in town, screwed up traffic for a few hrs.

camptramp

Occupation
Retired Logger Retired Part time pebble hauler
What happened , did the skid plate on the bottom of bunk drop down and get hung up on skid plate on top of the bolster, stopping the trailer from pivoting under the load and following the truck around a tight turn? I've been around a lot of Tridrive trucks with Tridem trailers , but I don't recall any broken reaches.

Hank R

Occupation
If I remember correct the reach just broke where it comes out of the trailer. Never did hear the real story on that could of been a older reach just metal old and let go?? No one got hurt happened just as you make a 90 turn off the highway most likely in 3rd or 4th, slow and got stopped quick.

Hank R

Occupation
Here are a few more Stars from here.

This is Fred's Star when it was 1 week old. Next year the reach broke on the trailer

Blk prince

Occupation
One question what is ruling in your area concerning load restraints,because I see one load has belts and we cannot use them on the coast.

Hank R

Occupation
I do not know the answer for you but will check it out and let you know. The white truck was a out of town truck hauling peelers down to the beach (Vancouver area) most truckers use cable wrappers here.

Blk prince

Occupation
On the Island all loads must have wrappers and now some lengths require 3. If the load is poles on a flat deck used for lumber then the belts are allowed. Always nice to know if rules are different in other locations.

Hank R

Occupation
Most long loads 52ft use 3 wrappers, this load with the belts was past scales near Hope so I am guessing it was legal.

525isx

Occupation
log trucker
here in Washington 3 wrappers are required on any load over 17 feet. ( 1 log over 17,the rest shorter, still 3 wrappers )

Hank R

Occupation
Belts can be used on Hay racks or highboy trailers if winches and hooks are welded to the frame near the bunks if I understood it correctly.