• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What are everyones thought on this concept

Reuben

Four tracks that would work just the same as the current machines work now but they would all adjust in height independently,to level or stabalize the machine. You could actually still maintain about the same current ground pressure as the current machines also. I think volvo had a concept drawing of something simlar. A few years ago. Just A thought I had......

Attachments

• Excavator.jpg
    Excavator.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 3,038

DR RPM

Occupation
Dirt Flinger
I think less moving parts, the better. The real amount of time those features would be needed would be minimal, and when you do, just bring in a contractor like Brian and they can play on those crazy slopes.

Deere9670

Occupation
Farm equipment operator
Anybody remember the old drotts, with the tilting turntable, so that the machine would level itself out? Similer idea, why dont they make them like that anymore?

hoeman600

Occupation
yellow thingy moverer
this was at con expo

Attachments

• 100_2285.jpg
    100_2285.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 3,025

BrianHay

I think one of those is a few years down the road but maybe some day I will get one. I wonder what the price tag is on one of those. My guess would be in the neighborhood of a half mil.

joispoi

Biggest detractors that I see are that you have 2 more drive motors to rebuild and 2 more spring tensioners. If both sets of drive motors were kept to the inside, you could never dig over them.

Bellboy

COPPA
Occupation
Student
It could work, don't see it in the near future though. Half a mil in my green backs is very good... can get a TLB for that much

Didn't they say that they would do away with hydraulics on that machine?

Last edited:

adr02

LevelMax

Any interest in this, comments? Things I would change would be to have single grouser pads, and a power clam rather than heel boom setup. One other thing is the top rollers should be replaced with sliders.

On a side note, I prefer to keep the idlers on the uphill side most often, so when the track comes of the idler you can put it back on easily. When the idler is on the low side of the slope and that happens, you slide right out of the track real easy:eek:. Not to fun chucking the track down the hill to get to a flat spot to put it back on.:mad:

LevelMax is an innovative leveling module designed exclusively for Volvo tracked carriers that will increase carrier performance and productivity as well as enhance operator comfort. It automatically levels the superstructure of the carrier up to twenty-one degrees during travel and through all axis points, when working on steep slopes or uneven ground. The Volvo LevelMax module is installed between the undercarriage and the swing ring on the Volvo FC2421C and Volvo FC3329 tracked carriers as a pre-ordered factory option.

Attachments

• tilter1.jpg
    tilter1.jpg
    471.6 KB · Views: 3,233
  • tilter2.jpg
    tilter2.jpg
    578.3 KB · Views: 3,050
Last edited:

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I like that some marketing hack thinks that is a new idea.

Timbco, TimberKing and Timberjack have been building and using tilt house machines for many years, usually for feller bunchers. As far as using slides instead of top rollers, the industry has been mounting bottom rollers on the tops for years. The slides wear through in short order when shovel logging. We use two bar grousers for logging shovels. Those will usually go where you can't walk. The single bar pads are used on the feller bunchers and some processors. They will go almost anywhere the ground is solid but tear up the floor of the forest to a large extent. Some land owners around here will not allow them.

adr02 is correct about keeping the sprockets down hill. Basically the recoil springs collapse some when the idlers are pointed down hill and put slack in the track. This slack can end up being enough that the track can jump the sprocket teeth and give you a ride.

cps

Occupation
plant mechanic
i have a customer who has a Hitachi ex220 with a tilting undercarrage, kind of like the volvo levelmax but i think it only tilts side to side un-like the volvo.

adr02

I'm sure there is differences in terrain where you work, just like in B.C., many types of logging, and vastly different ground around the province. Around here anyways people have single grousers on standard excavators for site prep, chucking ect. And I've found I can't go as steep as the bunchers with doubles, and stick to the hill as confidently. The other reason is we have a ton of snow here in the winter. Double grousers I find ice up real easy and you have to pull yourself around on the slightest slope. I've hoe chucked yarder blocks with doubles in the winter, yes its doable, but a little to many close calls for my liking. Corks are good for winter, and do help in the summer though on both. As for why I like sliders, is so many guys around here start working the machine with the top rollers frozen, and quickly get flat spots(won't turn anymore). But, if doubles work for the jobs you get, all the better, I'm pretty sure singles wear the track chains faster, but not sure. Like I said, differences in terrain, my choices aren't applicable to work a block that is flat, or simply flatter, or even one where a wheeled skidder can go anywhere the buncher goes.

edit: I would be interested to see a pic of the 220, if you got one, I like seeing machines modified in different ways like that. I also like seeing different guarding styles use in other countries, and how things are done there, or how the equipment is used in a way most wouldn't try here.

Last edited:

Iron Horse

What is the guy in the Volvo actually doing ? And did he start at the top and work down ? What is "chucking" ?

72V

Occupation
grader, cat, excavator hack
On the subject of machines with four tracks as opposed to two, I tried without success to find a picture of an articulated, quad-tracked feller buncher Allied www.alliedsystems.com used to make (Allied ATH 28?). Maybe Big Iron or John C. know what I'm referring to. I've seen a few working, but doubt there's many left now. I've been told they were a nightmare to repair and keep running. Does anybody have a picture of one?

I think "chucking" or "hoe-chucking" is Canadian for what we south of the 49th would call "shovel logging". Basically, that's just working the logs toward a road or landing by picking them up swinging them behind you in the direction you want them to go.

joispoi

What is the guy in the Volvo actually doing ? And did he start at the top and work down ? What is "chucking" ?

Looks like a brochure photo. The machine was put there to look pretty.

Iirc, Case had a tilting turntable on some of it´s older machines.

JDOFMEMI

Pipeliners in the Rockies have custom built hoes like this for many years. Only they are fixed at an angle, not adjustable like this.

I remember seeing 235's converted like that in the early 80's.

Here is a pic of a 330, though it is not so good, as I couldn't get a better view.

Attachments

• 4-4-08 JDs camera pics 014.jpg
    4-4-08 JDs camera pics 014.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 1,441
  • 4-4-08 JDs camera pics 013.jpg
    4-4-08 JDs camera pics 013.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 1,261