• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What are guys using for "walkie talkies"?

Manistar

Like the title says I'm wondering what people are using for communication systems for crane operations. I've talked about getting something for a long time but when I start researching different options I never know what to get so I end up not doing anything. It's not everyday that I'm working in the blind but on occasion it'd be nice.

I've used Motorola and Kenwood walkie talkies before which seem to work good but I think I'd rather go hands free. One rental company I've worked with had Sena bluetooth intercom headsets which I thought worked really good but reading reviews online I don't know if they're durable enough for my jobsites. I've also considered getting phone headsets like blueparrott which I think would work but then you'd always have to have phones to make it work (as if anyone doesn't carry a phone on them 24/7).

Just wondering what other people are using. What works and what to stay away from.

crane operator

Retivis RT 22. They are in a six pack charging station and they are light and cheap and not complicated.

I don't know how many radio's I've seen dropped from roofs, legs, manlifts, etc. and I don't want them to be a $300 kenwood. Batteries last about 1/2 a day if you are on it constantly signaling. I don't talk much from the cab so mine will last all day, but the signal guy's radio usually won't .

Manistar

That's one concern I've always had was getting $400+ into something only to have one fall 100' off a grain leg. Those retivis seem cheap enough to not really care plus for me I'd have a couple backups.

Manistar

Yea if I got senas they would be the ones with the headband and that was one of the biggest complaints in the reviews I was reading. It seems that the headband wouldn't hold up very good on a construction site. And in the somewhat limited search I did, the headband itself isn't readily available for replacement. I wouldn't be so against spending the money if I thought they would hold up for a few years.

I think I'm going to try the cheap route with the retivis 2 way radios. They seems to have positive reviews online and if I get them and don't like them they're so cheap I'm not really out anything and can still get something more expensive.