• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What size scraper can a D5B pull

Taylortractornu

Charter Member
Occupation
Privvate landfill operator/manager
I have a question for some of you Cat and Can folks here. Theres not many scrapers here and none left that re pull type for a crawler. I have an opportunity to get a contract for some wildlife ponds and terracing and work and light clearing for the county and state. Ive seen some ofthe ponds and the ground isnt boggy but slippery. A couple other folks have tryed with small tractor pans and anothr tried with a 412 Dresser. they just slip but dont sink. Dad told me when he was a kid starting out that in soft spots a crawler and pand was the way to go.
Heres the catch the Crawler needs to be small enough to pull on a lowboy without permits, and to fit through the special gates on some of the properties, but big enough to get some work done. I run a D5B everyday and like the work I can do pushing and think it may pull a small Can. I have a friend that has a D5 that has been gon through by the best shop in the area. I ran it a few hours today and liked it. He also has a small Rome disk with it and a pin on rake. Whats the best can size for a D5 I know Im on the small side with it.
Also any suggestions on the brand of the box to use. The neighbor has an old Garwood Cable rig I can get for scrap. I would change it over to hydraulics.
These ponds arent very large and mostly they will be made by damming a hollow. Id like a D7 0r D8 with a larger pan but thats out of the question.

RDG

Occupation
Multi skilled plant operator for 40+yrs
Cat 60 would be close to being about right, anything to big is harder to load slower uphills and gets stuck more often.

Greg

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
I think a Cat 60 may be a bit to big. My guess is that you will run out of traction before power. Tried a Cat 80 here behind a D7 one time and that was the case here. Also, the hydraulics can be another issue. You will have to check into pump volume, reservoir capacity, etc. An easy way to do it is put a "wet kit" on the back of the tractor where a CCU would go.

Taylortractornu

Charter Member
Occupation
Thanks guys, I didnt know if I could put a CCU on a 5B. I found a Prime 5/6 yard heavy ag pan with a dolly for 5800. I could put a pump with a speed increaser box on the PTO to make it meet the GPM and capacity pretty easy. Its the pan with the dual linkage and one lever that when you lower it so far it will dig then raise to transport and continue to raise to dump. Im not fond of them but they pull easy and dont take alot of juice. You can set theis one for thick or thin lifts. I may go with this to start out. I found a muley old cable six with a straight shift and a smaller Garwood setup. But I dont like having to keep up 2 machines plus transport.
Most of the ponds will be 1/4 to 1/2 acre in size plus a few roads. My friend with the D5B told me he would let me rent the machine for the first few jobs to see if I could make money at it. Theres not alot going on here and a few folks are getting grant money to do farm and wildlife projects. The other companies here dont like messing with them because the yare tediuos and time consuming with all the small specs given about the ponds and their shapes. They cant just go in and bomb a square hole out.

Greg

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
Have done a bunch of that kind of thing. Use a D7G and a Cat No. 70 for those. Not sure about the CCU on a Cat D5B though. There is a plate on the back of the machine which gives access to the PTO. I am not sure if the machine has the taped holes needed to mount the unit. Next thing, is the unit itself. I am sure that a No. 29 CCU which is used on D7's, 8's is to large or not. If you could find a No. 25 CCU that may work as they were used on the D6's. If you could find a Cat 40 that probably would be the best trick. Those, I believe, were built hydraulic.

d4c24a

scraper

this is my ruston bucyrus s46
4/6 yards it would not be hard to convert to hydraulic , my D4c pulls it well
i would think it would be easy to put some greedy boards on it :D
please excuse the undergrowth ,i had only just dragged it out of the hedge after being given it
cheers graham

Attachments

• scraper.jpg
    scraper.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 3,108

Taylortractornu

Charter Member
Occupation
Thanks for the info Greg, these old rigs have long since disapeared and scrap has gotten most of the ones left here. Folk around here are kinda one tracked about moving dirt. Either use a tractor and pan or excavator. All the oldtimers here that pulled pans with crawlers are all but gone my nieghbor has an old Garwood they used to pull with TD18's. He said they had about six and has helped alot with my decision about the clay here. He said they kept on pan and a mulely tractor for that purpose in the mud.
I think I saw a CCU adapted to fit a later model Cat. I found a Bucyrus today, well remebered a man having one and tracked him down. Its one with the one cable to operate it the man pulled it with a large Case with a standard winch on the rear with the pans cable wrapped in it. Actually Grahams post made me think of it. I saw a Miskin tractor pan once that was a paddle wheel that had the rear axle with an oscillation like a Lull axle for cutting ditches. Kinda got me dreaming about the 762JD scraper bowl on our parts pan at work lol. After looking at all thats too be done this winter its surely be a dream. Anyone heard of a Murry pan I got a lead on one of those5 yard.
d4c24a Thats a nice looking pan ya got there. is that a single line machine to.

Greg

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
You don't really need to do any adapting to get a CCU on the back of any of the Cat pre high drive tractors. Just take the cover off of the rear of the tractor, slide in the PTO extension, hang the unit and you are ready to go. Worst part about the whole thing would be making the control arms work with the tractor. D7E's through the G's, D8H's and K's have prefabricated openings through the fuel tanks to accommodate the CCU control arm linkage. I am not sure about the D5B you are considering or D6B's and C's.

bell142

Hey Taylortractor We used to have a d5b that we pulled a 5yd soilmover single hydrolic scraper worked great to ponds(tanks) Go to Northern Tools get a 540rpm hyd. pump, hyd tank, and a single valve. the pump has chains to hold it in place remove them and mound something solid, build a rack to hold the tank, hook up hoses, place valve whereever you want and whahla! have fun and send pics.

stovepipe699

Taylortractornu, a Laplante(later bought by Allis-Chalmers) scraper would work really well for you. A 106(6 yard struck) would probably be a nice size for you. They are lighter and easier to load than a Cat scraper( I have both). 108 seems to be the most common size, and I've also seen a 104. I have a 108 and I can't say enough good things about it. Very user friendly.

Greg

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
One thing I did not mention which is also important. Make sure the tread width of the tractor pulling the scraper (in your case the D5) and the width of cut of the pan are very close to the same. To narrow and you can keep the tractor level and you are trying to cut out of the bank all of the time, to wide and you can wind up short on footing with the tractor. Tried a Cat No. 80 behind a D7 here one time and had problems except when on the flat.

KMB83

Occupation
farmer
Taylortractornu,

I ran a D5 and pulled a 7.5 yard pan with it. The scraper was a soil mover, a tumblebug design that is still made by orthoman. I attached a picture.

Since it didnt have force eject, the owner before me put quick connects off of the tilt cylinder and ran the dump off of the tilt control from the dozer. That worked quite well.

In general the D5 could heap load the pan and dirt would boil off the sides assuming you werent trying to cut too deep. If anything the dozer was oversized for the scraper.

On a side note, dont try pulling something like that with a MFWD JD 8300, that was all that tractor wanted and then some....

Attachments

• DSCF0019.jpg
    DSCF0019.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 2,271