• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

what size vib pad foot roller is the right size for our operation?

lgammon

we keep getting jobs that require a vib. pad foot roller. we are building pads and parking lots. we are renting and borrowing for now but need to buy one. i was wandering what you guys would think is the right fit for us, our main machine is a 953. we also have a 943, 941, and a 312. two r model mack tandems. we are a 2-4 man show. when it is a big fill we hire trucks to make productivity. never more than dumping 10 - 15 loads per hour. this is a big job not the norm. usually we are grading and have a truck or two bringing in fill. we tend to work smaller sites less than two acres. we do alot with just a 277b skid and a backhoe. we move on a 20 ton tilt top. what do you guys think ? we rent a sd 100 often but it seems kinda big. we rented a cp 433 the other day it seemed fine but was wondering if it could keep up on a larger fill with our loader pushing over. i am trying to give as much info as possible, if more is needed please ask.

dirtmonkey

Occupation
dozer monkey , self employed
Sound like our jobs are similar in size and equip. The 433 is what I rent when needed and seems to do fine. Mostly house pads, some are tested ,some are not but the end result is satisfactory. I think it would be fine. Depends on who's running it.:my2c

Last edited:

DGODGR

A 66", such as the CP 433, compactor is a good size for many jobs. The question as to if it will keep up with you operation is hard to answer with the many variablesthat exist in the dirt moving arena. What type of soil and what is the compaction specification are just (2) of the variables that I can think of off the top of my head. I recommend that you consult the Cat Performance Handbook. They are available from your Cat dealer (I have always gotten them for free from my salesman), and a new one comes out each year. There is a production calculator for compactors and they can take into account many variables so that you can get a pretty good idea of production rates. I would recommend that you look at getting a smooth drum and buy a pad foot shell kit for it. That way you could use it for gravel too, should the need arise.