• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What to do before using rental or used hydraulic equipment.

brotrac

Hello all,
I just recently purchased an E50R2 Bobcat, I've started rounding up different attachments, some used some new.
Is there a procedure for cleaning out the old hydraulic oil in a used or rental piece?
The main one I worry about is the used flail mower I just bought. Is the worry about contamination?
I'm new to this stuff and don't want to hurt the machine or jeopardize my warranty.
TIA

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
Most motor driven attachments will not have a reservoir, or gearbox. Most mowing type attachments do and are driven either via chain, or gears and these usually have oil sumps. These should be checked for level at least and changed at routine intervals. Most everything has grease zerks or nipples.

I don't know what a model E50R2 is as have no experience with Bobcat at all.

Mark13

When using someone else's attachments on my equipment I always spin a quick coupler off and run a few gallons of oil through it until I can see a visible color change or I hope I ran it enough to flush it out. Usually 1.5-2 gallons is more then enough for compact equipment.
If the attachment itself has a gear box or other reservoir on it, I always check the fluid to make sure it's at the proper level and at least halfway clean.