• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Where are the Mechanics?

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I got a job at the IH dealer a few months after finishing service in the US Navy. Spent three and half years there and got laid off in the timber industry bust in the early eighties. Did five years at a coal mine working on really old stuff. Was the most satisfying place to work. Did three years or so at a larger coal mine with almost all new stuff. Worst work experience I've ever had. Did five years at the Komatsu dealership both as a field and shop wrench. Moved on to a small shop for a few months and then to service manager job at the Link-Belt dealership. That was another not so fun place to work so went out on my own wrenching and appraising for about ten years. Local Cat used manager was a friend and he asked me to come work for him for a bit to rebuild their process for appraisal. Kind of got stuck there for twelve years. Last year they put a new manager in place who was an ego with no intelligence so now I'm back doing my own thing. I don't pull wrenches anymore but do work with some people on troubleshooting at times but most of my work now is appraising.

I've always seen lots of different jobs as a rounding process that makes a person more valuable. The trick as an employer is to get as much transfer of wisdom out of those of us who are true journeymen before we move on. The mistake dumb employers make is believing that someone has to stay somewhere as there are no other options.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
My last hurrah at the Nuke, was out on sick leave, had two implants placed in C5/6 and C6/7 in my neck, to replace what had eroded to nothing making my arms, hands and much of my shoulder ache or go to sleep. Surgery successful, was in recovery mode doing my exercises, seeing PT techs twice weekly, behaving myself when out of the blue my immediate manager calls, says I am being forced back into plant for light duty. Explained the situation, PT, still on antibiotics, unable to tilt head back for at least another month, he said "I do not care, you just report back to the Medical Review Officer and get requalified to start walking down jobs and workman's protection and I would have to take vacation for the PT appointments". Stated Doc had not and was not going to release me for at least a month, he stated again "I do not care. you have your notice". I sat back a moment, got REALLY ANGRY, stated flatly he needed to do something for me as I was NOT jeopardizing what had just been repaired, told him place me on vacation until that runs out then I will retire, I am NOT going to chance screwing up my health to prove the company is wrong.

Silence on the other end, he stammered a moment then said OK. I was on the phone to HR next few minutes and set up the retire date then went back to what I had been doing. The plant is obscene as to lack of experienced workers, they blame US for leaving not their ignorant attitude as I explained to another HR tech I am friends with, I would have probably stayed another year AND been back in around a month until that fateful phone call. They evidently did that to several other employees, and now they are ALL retired with the plant in a serious personnel bind, idiots. Proved out cannot fix stupid.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
I remember THOSE DAYS John.. oh what fun.!!
It was NOTHING to pack up & move from state to state.. following "the money"..
Throw the stereo in the car, gotta take the stereo cuz that was the most expensive thing we owned at the time.. lol.. am I right fellas?? A trunk FULL of clothes & "maybe " some kitchen items & GONE..
2-3 years usta be MY MAX at any one place..
I went from SC to Tenn, back to SC, then to GA, then to FLA, back to SC, then back to GA & then back to SC .. I used to LOVE runnin the roads.. you cant get me to go to the store, now adays..Lol

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
My trek was KY, MO, KS, MO, IL, UT, CA, MO, OK, IL, MO, IL and back to MO!!! All over 24 years until that last move!! Shortest at any one place three weeks, longest was the last two at 22 years. Got really experienced at packing!!

Sberry

Occupation
Farmer
David Todd Geaslin is a professor type from Texas has a good message for the admin types. I love it when their eyes glaze over talking down like they just came back from he accountant says maint is a liability etc. I say,,, the shate dont carry itself, no truckee no sales duh. Maintenance is the most profitable part of my operation.

TVA

David Todd Geaslin is a professor type from Texas has a good message for the admin types. I love it when their eyes glaze over talking down like they just came back from he accountant says maint is a liability etc. I say,,, the shate dont carry itself, no truckee no sales duh. Maintenance is the most profitable part of my operation.
And you actually save/make money when you are good at it!