• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Where is the switch that shuts audible alarm off on parking brake on 580SL?

69zfarmer

I have a series 1 580SL and the audible alarm that operates when parking brake is on and you shift out of neutral is very hard to get to turn off.I have to really get rough with the parking brake lever to get it to shut up.Slamming it off sometimes 3 or 4 times causing bad thing to come out of my mouth.It is a cab model.I took the cover off under the loader control lever that exposes the paring brake cable assembly thinking there was a switch there to adjust but there was not one.The switch must be located on the other end of the cable inside rearend.Please help.

Burnout

Occupation
Operator at Sureway Construction
I had the same problem with my old 580 SL. I unplugged the alarm which is in behind that panel in the loader control console. If you open up the door on that side you'll see a little access panel and there it is in behind.

You'll lose the audible alarm for everything so you'll want to pay attention to your dummy lights.

stumpjumper83

Occupation
Movin dirt
I think its a normally open circuit, so if you permently opened the circuit, you would still have your audible alarm, but just not for the park brake, you could also replace the little switch and see if that helps.

I was thinking that the switch was under the brake handle... But you can view case parts manuals on line and that should tell you where to find it.

69zfarmer

Yeah i just looked at the parts manual and it shows a switch on the rearend for $79.I hate to bypass the alarm cause knowing my skatterbrain i would drive off with the brake on and burn it up.I will look when i get time to see if the switch can be adjusted.

melben

Occupation
Retired 50 Yrs with Case dealership
There are two switches located on the actuator arms on top of the axle houising where the brake cables attach, you can't.miss them. There is a looped bracket on the frame that locates the cable and these can be bent to allow the cable to travel a bit further to allow the switches to open.The switches could be disconnected but if you then drive through the park brake the linings will be destroyed