• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Who here owns or runs a limestone quarry? need help with start up

Coondog

Jms, I believe you on the building vs. Buying price difference. I also believe that buying is probably more cost effective than building. I gave only built some conveyors that I could not buy, some custom stuff. When I was talking about stackables I was suggesting them and suggested building legs under them to get the desired height and angle. There was an auction in ft worth today and there was some homemade stuff and some other worn out stuff that sold for 500 a piece. There was not a lot left on them but they looked to have decent frames and that's a very good start. I am a big proponent for recycling second hand stuff. Sometimes it don't look pretty but it usually saves a lot of money and in mining, unless you operate under names like Freeport mcmoran or Martin Marietta, saving money in your process is key. There was a mine near us tha shutdown due to contrac issues or something and banks came in a repoed all the good stuff. There was a bunch of crap left over that did not look good enough to the bank to fool with. We ended up talking to a landowner there that had an overand conveyor that got left behind. Couple thousand feet and he wanted 5 grand for it. After investigating, we found it had cema d rollers on it, just a regular c channel frame, kinda rusty. We ended up buying it and have used about half of it so far. It has worked really well so far. Point is check out those auctions cuz there might be something good there for a start up.

Boss

Not in the quarry business, but do a lot of screening and material handling. My biggest suggestion would be to go with 36" transfer conveyors over the 30", at 400tph a 30" would be fine, but I wouldn't buy a new conveyor if it wasn't 36"