• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Who is milling and where?

Milling Boy

This forum has been extremely quiet. I just wanted to start a conversation on in-general milling being done this season. Has anyone started any unusual or difficult projects this year? What kind of teeth/machines are you using. Now that summer is getting set in, what kind of workload does everyone anticipate?

linebore 141

We have been milling in Hwy 70 about 50 miles west of St. Louis. Should be fun end of this week then headed to Farmington Missouri

PJ The Kid

Occupation
Mechanic
Anyone looking to get rid of some millings around the Kansas City area?

redneckracin

Occupation
Civil Engineer
Doing some mill and fills in PA on some various state routes! Smaller outfit with a 4' mill but thats what the client needs to appease the dot!

fast_st

Occupation
IT systems admin
Question on cost, have a driveway that needs rebuilding, I'd say its 10' wide and 500' long, layers from oil/sand, chip seal and a few coats of hot mix. I'd like to mill out 4-5 inches, stockpile the milling material, fix the drainage, compact the sub grade, add geotextile and then put the millings back, compact the dickens out of it and then a new layer of binder and top coat. What's the cost for a milling machine? not sure how long it'd take but I think it'd be brief.

redneckracin

Occupation
Civil Engineer
If the driveway failed and you have water issues, why wouldn't you beef up the subgrade while the road is tore up? I'm assuming you mean the asphalt is cracked and failing.

fast_st

Occupation
IT systems admin
well, it was put in place 50 years ago, the base is just gravel built up 3' and only about 13 feet wide so its slumping on the shoulders a bit, the plan would be to bolster up the shoulders maybe 2' wider than the to be paved surface, the tire tracks always settle and the center cracks and its been shimmed and recovered half a dozen times. It seems the correct path is after the blacktop is ground, fix the uphill drainage with a deep french drain and run it off to a single lateral to keep the water out from under the driveway. I figure with fixing the drainage, bolstering it up and some geotextile, the paving job should last a whole lot longer. Part of the issue is that there's some heavy truck traffic now and again between oil trucks, triaxle loads of material and such.

redneckracin

Occupation
Civil Engineer
Well it sounds like you are on the right path then! #1 is always getting rid of the water, #2 is always subgrade, #3 is the asphalt its self.

Ronsii

Occupation
s/e Heavy equipment operator
I have a question about milling(actually a lot of questions)... remembered this thread and though it would be a good place to ask and also pop this thread back up :)

So we have had quite a few jobs to rip out 3-4 inches of asphalt then dig down a few more inches and replace with 6 inches of rebar reinforced concrete... the issue we ran into on the last one was the cement treated subgrade under the asphalt is anywhere from 6 to 14 inches thick! and the cement treat is like full strength concrete!!!. In the past the subgrade was also sometimes treated but nowhere near the strength of this stuff, in the end we ended up breaking out the full 6 - 14 inches then replacing with crushed rock back up to grade for the 6 inch concrete....

So my question is how good would a small milling machine work for milling the two layers together? was thinking something along the size of a skidsteer mounted type... I think I heard they come up to 4 foot wide...??? don't know much about them so I am looking for any thoughts and opinions from anyone who has used them. The milled sections would be anywhere from 30 to 100 feet long and 10 -20 feet wide. Also how fast do these things mill at 6 inches or would you have to do multiple passes to get to depth? I appreciate any info the experts on here can offer as I am completely green on this ;) Thanks, Ron