• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Wichata 18" water brake question

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
Since Bill Paulson died a couple months ago I lost a very valuable asset for these kind of questions.
We have an 18-in water brake on the haulback of our 071 that is leaking so we pulled it off to rebuild it and after four times going back together it still will not seal up and at the o-ring seal there is a ton of corrosion and pitting in the casting. Can we machine that area down flat again and recut the o-ring groove or do we have to machine the whole plate down by however much we take out of that o-ring area?
I'm pretty sure I know the answer but curious for any guys that have rebuilt these and run into this problem.

IMG951635.jpgIMG951636.jpgScreenshot_20230427_193709_Gallery.jpg