• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Wieler pavers

Vetech63

Not a fan so far. Customer bought a P385B Last summer, its been a constant headache. Draft arms for the screed bent in the first month(too light), the augers are made from too thin a metal so they wear quickly(again, too light). Replaced a broken conveyor adjust bolt yesterday for the left conveyor chain drive ( don't sound like much, but its a bitch and a horrible design.) Several electrical issues have downed the machine. It only has 556 hours as of yesterday.
My area dealer cant seem to get parts very timely and field service is always over 7 days out. The auger roll plates wore holes in them at 300 hours (and yet AGAIN too thin) I just cant wait (sarcasm) to have to repair anything very deep in this thing, you should see how unserviceable a lot of the major components are.........you will have to remove gobs of crap to get to most things.

Vetech63

624 hours...…….the machine has broken both right and left conveyor adjusting bolts ( the design is **** poor) in the last month.. Broke the right conveyor drive chain today.

Vetech63

905 hours, bearing failure on the right conveyor idler rollers. Im just going to keep a running tab on this machine. I was told last week they were buying another one. :eek: Job security I guess...….

Vetech63

1268 hours...……….auger box roll plate replacements on both left and right sides. These were replaced under warranty by CAT when they wore holes through them at 420 hours. These replacements they have actually improved since then. The old plates were 5/16 thick, the hew ones are 1/2. They bolted right up with no mods. I do like the fact that Weiler listened and made the improvement!P385B-1.jpg P385B-2.jpg P385B-1.jpg P385B-2.jpg

Vetech63

……………….and I have NO idea why it posted the pics twice! I did wait 3 weeks to get these parts.

Vetech63

Are these branded CAT or Weiler?
They are branded Weiler. I'm not sure if CAT has involvement with them on a corporate/partnership or not. The only thing I have found that is CAT is the ignition switch. My local CAT dealer started selling these a few years ago. I'm just going to keep a running tab (thread) on this machine because I loathe it so much. o_O

TVA

They are branded Weiler. I'm not sure if CAT has involvement with them on a corporate/partnership or not. The only thing I have found that is CAT is the ignition switch. My local CAT dealer started selling these a few years ago. I'm just going to keep a running tab (thread) on this machine because I loathe it so much. o_O
I don’t know who else, but I know that both Carlson and Weiler make pavers for for CAT.
They also have CAT controls on them, and the controls cover that is not lockable gets lost really easy when you transport them if you forgot to put bunjy cord on them - but you can buy it from Cat.

Bls repair

Occupation
Equipment operator,mechanic
A lot of manufacturers are using cheap steel in wear areas to save $$$$$. Have had buckets wear through in 1000 hours.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I believe Carlson makes the screeds that can be purchased for any paver. Weiler makes their own screeds and the pavers as well and sells them through Cat dealers. I've heard the Weiler bought the old Blount logging equipment business from Cat. Cat baled on a line again.

TVA

Carlson also makes pavers, the new ones with electronics and electric over hydraulic is PITA to operate - too much of hysteresis! Operators complaining a lot, jerky movements and delays in movements makes it hard to get used to it.

Vetech63

Time for another Weiler repair. This time its the conveyor drive sprockets and chains at 1462 hours. The set-up for this is just a major pain in the ass, the access to the motor and chains is a joke. I got it done (no pics cause I couldn't wait to get away from this machine) but now my shoulders ache from the contortionist positions I had to put myself in.o_O

Bls repair

Occupation
Equipment operator,mechanic
I love working on pavers ,everything thing is always nice and cool , no body in a rush to get it fixed just because there is 4-5 loads of asphalt waiting . No yelling or screaming .:D

Vetech63

More Weiler issues. Nothing big but still annoying. 1509 hours and I’m getting a “left feed transducer voltage low”. It is the transducer itself and that is ordered for the machine. Then there is a weld crack in the screed lift arm on the right side and a missing flange bolt. Took care of that today.

TVA

Do you get to work on Carlson’s? And if you do how do you compare those two?

Vetech63

And the saga continues, although this is not the machines fault.
Weiler cov damage 1.jpg
SO.......somehow a piece of the fiber matt got caught in the left side conveyor chain without anyone noticing o_O. Of course, it continued to roll around the lower drive sprocket, continuing to increase its size to the point that the chain overrode the sprocket teeth. It wound this fiberglass matt in there tighter than cable on a winch drum and finally broke the drive motor shaft. That gear above, as you can see, still has the shaft and retaining nut. The matting you see here is only a third of what was wound up.
Weiler conv damage 2.jpg
It took me 5 hours to remove all that crap, using a oring pick, wire snips, cutting torch to burn away part of it, several prybars, and a hammer and chisel.......all in a 6x8 inch hole below the drive gear that is the only access. There was no way to stay away from the fiberglass fibers so I was covered in them and had to wear that crap the rest of the day. Parts are supposed to be here today so hopefully all goes well.

Vetech63

On another note, the customer here did buy 2 more of these pavers late last year. Both have had the DEF tanks replaced under warranty. One had a conveyor drive failure (motor separated from its mount).....also under warranty.