• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Wirtgen Moldboard

stack o dime

Hey Everyone,
Im working on the rear moldboard on a wirtgen mill. it is the piece where the carbide bits bolt to that is used to scrape the cut clean after milling. the issue is that some of the holes in the moldboard are worn out making it impossible to hold on the carbide pieces. I am making a new moldboard piece and am just wondering what everyone's suggestion would be for the type of steel to make it out of. I was thinking either an abrasion resistant steel like ar400 of hardox, or mabey something like a high strength weldox plate. thanks

Huskyrider

I'd make it out of the hardest stuff you can weld and drill. The replaceable carbide pieces should take most of the wear and if they're changed in time, should protect the mounting plate you are replacing, but there is always going to be some wear in that area.

Toegrinder

Occupation
Milling Foreman
Called "super c". They have tri braze also which is just hardened metal. The super c wears about the same as the factory wear parts, but is a hell of a lot cheaper. Just make sure you have them cut it to the dimensions and thickness you want, if's a mother to cut

Bls repair

Occupation
Equipment operator,mechanic
Do they offer a factory replacement ? If so you won't have to worry about material choice or drilling holes