• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Work boots

Heavywrenching

How are those wedge soles in snow and ice?
This is my second winter on em and it’s sketchy. They made it through last winter fine and I was impressed by the traction, for a wedge at least. But they’re worn pretty slick now and gotta be a little more careful now. That’s the only reason why I’m considering not going with another pair of wedge soles. The comfort is unreal but I’d like more traction in the long run.

dieseldog5.9

Working in the shop had Chippawa flat soles for years rugged boot, wolverines for a while, comfortable wear out fast. Knees bothered me on the concrete all day for years, switched to Asolo 520 hiking boots, no more knee issues, I get more production out of the day because of it, nurses wear dansco clogs something about the stiff sole and rocker is good for legs, ( I think Whites works on some of this theory) same with these Asolos. $350ea but I easily make up for that in production.

dieseldog5.9

My Father Has 2 pair of whites/wesco "Corked" boots hanging on the wall from what he calls Cruising timber, and Laying out logging roads in the 70s and early 80s. When we moved from Port Angeles Washington to Northern New Hampshire in 86 I remember him shopping for work boots and saying "there wasn't a good pair of work boots to be found anywhere here" This for years was a major bone of contention for him that I remember as a child.

He later settled on Limmer Boots. I will own a set of whites motorcycle boots in the future.

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
With Whites new foreign ownership, Nicks Hand Made Boots, also in Spokane, might be worth looking at. The new owner, Steve Mowe, has a decent YouTube channel. I’ve never owned a pair of Nicks.

Whites have taken their brand international and their focus is changing. I hope they don’t do the same thing Filson did with their brand. Move away from the core business and into hipster fashion.

mowingman

Occupation
Retired
I have been wearing Wolverine for many years. When working full time, I could get about 1 1/2 years out of a pair. They are fairly light, can be waterproof if well cared for, and are very comfortable. Oh, I forgot to mention, inexpensive. I bought my last pair about 2 tears ago at Tractor Supply, where I have bought them for years. As I recall, at that time, they were still $99.00. As I am now semiretired, I may get another couple of years out of these.

crane operator

fell back to Carolinas. Fit my Long Narrow foot well, had all the features I wanted in a boot, water resistance to a few inches was always a plus. Used to have a Made in USA line, can no longer get.

Carolina still has lines that are USA made. I just got my youngest daughter a set for college and all her walking on campus. She really likes them. The chippewa ones at the same store were all vietnam manf.

I get along best with my USA redwings. They still make a B width in some styles.

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
I’d like to try a pair of the USA made Redwing 875 moc toe. Those have a huge cult following. The Iron Rangers, too.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Anyone here wear or know someone who wears 9 /12 EEE?
I have a couple pair of 2233 and 2245 RedWings made in USA.