• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Working in Alaska pictures

Graham1

I was wondering how you stopped stuff sticking. I guessed heated body, but much simpler and more cost effective. How do you stop muck freezing in the bucket?
Graham

alaskaforby4

Occupation
Owner Operator
looking good. they used stuff like to lines some of the big drag line buckets around hear. over 100 yards plastic can be wonderful things if used right but can be a bugger to work with. we make plastic rollers and shivs for the big guys they last longer than steel one to do plus the way lighter when you have to get them in to place up on the boom. keep up the good work,

Thanks Mog!, Definitely less resistance. Im hoping to get at least five years out of it. This would make it comparable and better than replacing with steel.

I was wondering how you stopped stuff sticking. I guessed heated body, but much simpler and more cost effective. How do you stop muck freezing in the bucket?
Graham

The other truck is a KW with a steel box, it is round so that helps a lot but. I spray it down with a 50/50 antifreeze mix and it actually makes the steel look "wet" It last for about 15 loads thereabout before reapplication is needed. I did spray the bucket as well but I dont think it really does much after a few dozen scoops. Thankfully this is straight gravel we are loading. If we are stipping overburden in freezing temps, dirt will stick in the bucket no matter what you do. I will usually cut a stump off high or use a sturdy log to scrape the muck out. Works okay. There is always a bit of chipping at end of day though

Graham1

If we are stipping overburden in freezing temps, dirt will stick in the bucket no matter what you do. I will usually cut a stump off high or use a sturdy log to scrape the muck out. Works okay. There is always a bit of chipping at end of day though
Oh well, hoped there was some magic cure you people who work in real cold use. Just have to stick with scraping it off at the end of the day. Not normally a problem, luckily.
Graham

1965IHdiesel

Hey alaskaforby4, neat pictures! Always thought the gravel pit side would be a nice niche and addition to excavating work. You can keep that cold though :)

We have liners in both our tandems, mainly for wet clay and silt in the summer. We love them! Usually the load is sliding out a lot sooner, much safer for us. We haul everything in ours, dirt, rock, concrete, demo debris, they've held up really well. One liner is gray, like yours, we have 3 years on it and it looks like it will be good to go for a while yet. We dont haul every day, but it sees the most use. I asked the installer on ours about fastening the back down, expansion/contraction is the reason he told me they dont. Ours havent gotten anything trapped under there, it falls out when you dump. Only thing is, you have to be a little more careful scooping out of the back of them with the excavator :)

The company here that does it has done buckets, articulated truck bodies, all kinds of stuff with it, pretty cool!

Stay warm up there!

alaskaforby4

Occupation
Owner Operator
Hey alaskaforby4, neat pictures! Always thought the gravel pit side would be a nice niche and addition to excavating work. You can keep that cold though :)

We have liners in both our tandems, mainly for wet clay and silt in the summer. We love them! Usually the load is sliding out a lot sooner, much safer for us. We haul everything in ours, dirt, rock, concrete, demo debris, they've held up really well. One liner is gray, like yours, we have 3 years on it and it looks like it will be good to go for a while yet. We dont haul every day, but it sees the most use. I asked the installer on ours about fastening the back down, expansion/contraction is the reason he told me they dont. Ours havent gotten anything trapped under there, it falls out when you dump. Only thing is, you have to be a little more careful scooping out of the back of them with the excavator :)

The company here that does it has done buckets, articulated truck bodies, all kinds of stuff with it, pretty cool!

Stay warm up there!

Thanks 1965, I am looking forward to seeing how long it holds up. Hopefully longer than expected.

DoyleX

Occupation
Lever Puller, Gear Jammer, Pipe Twister
The turboed D339 always had a sound that melted my heart.

Reactions: DB2

alaskaforby4

Occupation
Owner Operator
D7E sounds good. I stumbled on some of your older videos last night. If you have time i'd love to see some pics of the crewcab.
The ol’ Ford. It’s a pain keeping the wheel bearings and king pins in the front end, hoping to switch over to a 05 Superduty axle this winter... but we’ll see if we have time after maintaining the equipment that actually makes us money!461FB968-EB28-49CF-BAD8-15A0B3DE9C6F.jpeg DCEBC81A-8C9E-4FB6-8581-39A43A5F5279.jpeg 2A3E60DE-4308-434F-9C4A-D25E4E69F090.jpeg CE439B6B-237D-4A50-B27A-C1B657670309.jpeg

Last edited:

alaskaforby4

Occupation
Owner Operator
We have been so incredebly blessed over our business. We’ve gone from owner operator to now having 6-8 employees. I’ve transitioned into more of a HR role dealing with people calling in, sick, quitting etc.. It is difficult as I originally started this company to do something I enjoy! I’ve just had to learn on focusing on the smaller enjoyable moments! This road had to be completed by the 15th as they close the ROW due to freezing. I found myself picking rocks more than anything, but I did get to do the ditches! Haha, good times1F916144-663A-49CE-A981-A51D21055145.jpeg478F9331-A6B9-4340-9353-A56DF52D7BF0.jpeg 1FD1658C-F905-4833-87E8-F75B593D5820.jpeg4594C8BD-F7D4-4B35-A4E0-E1E4F622F740.jpeg

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Nice work Alaska. The material you are using for the road - is that a bank dug material or a quarry processed gravel?

We have nothing like that here in the Southeast but I've used similar material in Central America to build roads and pads with that was just dug out of the river. Great material as it was sand/fines to smooth rock 6" and smaller. 5' of it bridged over an old rice field like concrete.

alaskaforby4

Occupation
Owner Operator
Nice work Alaska. The material you are using for the road - is that a bank dug material or a quarry processed gravel?

We have nothing like that here in the Southeast but I've used similar material in Central America to build roads and pads with that was just dug out of the river. Great material as it was sand/fines to smooth rock 6" and smaller. 5' of it bridged over an old rice field like concrete.

Thanks CM, the area we are in is just strait river rock basically. This particular pit is very low in the 200# mesh sizes, we leave the dirt on top and it mixes in as we dig, it helps bring up the fines and help with compaction. It is very nice having a solid base 18” below the orgainic surface. I took some pictures for you today of our pit wallDC23F1B0-EAD2-4A68-81EE-57F1E8D68A0A.jpegF8E9585C-AFD6-45F8-A1AE-A08B4BC36489.jpeg

muddog1975

51cub

Occupation
semi retired
I'm sorry to say I've been missing this all this time. Great pictures of cool stuff in a beautiful state! Thanks for posting and keep em coming!

bigrus

Occupation
Joystick attendant
The material looks similar to stuff we have around northern inland NSW (Australia) flood plains
We have to mix clay with it, or it just unravels real fast.