• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Worn Crank Seal

cutting edge

The output shaft on the back of my service truck tranny leaks oil like a sieve (1.5-2 qts every week to week and a half). The tech from another branch that recently had it before me put a seal and speedy-sleeve on it. but as i have driven it the leak has gotten worse. guy at the International dealer said that if it is an Eaton (factory) seal that was put in it they won't take a speedy-sleeve and the extra OD to the shaft will burn up the lips on the seal and make it leak worse. Said I'd need to put in an aftermarket seal that will accept a sleeve. Ever heard of this?

Cant say that I have,but from my experience,if it's a 466e, I think they're supposed to leak...everyone ive ever been near,does.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
cutting edge and grandpa, I'm going to ask you both once to go to the opposite sides of the bar and mind your business, this jabbing at one another is childish. At this point it doesn't matter who started it, it ends now.

The two wear marks are from two seals being placed in the housing at two different depths, it's pretty obvious in looking at it. The speedy sleeve is the way I'm going to go if one is available in this size, I have someone working on that for me now. I wasn't aware these were so widely available, I'm pretty confident we'll find one to fit.

mitch504

The output shaft on the back of my service truck tranny leaks oil like a sieve (1.5-2 qts every week to week and a half). The tech from another branch that recently had it before me put a seal and speedy-sleeve on it. but as i have driven it the leak has gotten worse. guy at the International dealer said that if it is an Eaton (factory) seal that was put in it they won't take a speedy-sleeve and the extra OD to the shaft will burn up the lips on the seal and make it leak worse. Said I'd need to put in an aftermarket seal that will accept a sleeve. Ever heard of this?

Cant say that I have,but from my experience,if it's a 466e, I think they're supposed to leak...everyone ive ever been near,does.

You know you got a bad DT466e, if it's leaking out the transmission output shaft seal!

In all seriousness, there are several different types of sleeves available, some are very thin and take original seal, and some are much thicker, and you must use a larger seal. If this sleeve is in good shape, I would mic it and see if I could get a seal whose dia. range it fell within.