• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Your Longest Shift?

BrianHay

Worked every day for five and a half months with my shortest shift being 12 hours. We had over 200 people on that job so there was always a machine sitting because someone didn't show up. I would work my own 12 hour shift and then often half of the night shift. That was a while back, cant do that anymore (not that I would want to anyways). Three weeks is the max and then you have to take 3 days off. Its the law.

EZ TRBO

Occupation
Aggregate Utility, Maintence Welder
Longest shift, well as far as being on a machine. Had 39 hours one time. Worked all day on friday, bout 20 mins after shutting down, the fire whistle went off, large hay shed on fire. I got to the fire house and the chief asked if we had our dozer in the area, I said yeah just about 5 miles from where the fire is, so I had my dad go load the machine, our chief was getting his backhoe, and go take it out. Pushed buring hay for close to 12 hours, til sunup and then back to the job we were working on on saturday morning. Had 20 hours on a road grader, plowing snow last winter.
Jason

Loaderman380

Occupation
Operator for an underground utility company
Some years back I worked on the docks loading bulk cargo into ships. When we were loading we went around the clock untill we were done, usually two and a half days (60 hours). We would get two one hour meal breaks per day. Also I plowed snow for an airport during our slow time at the docks, and worked three days straight once, with the same meal breaks. Sure couldn't do that anymore, probably shouldn' have done it then either.

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Welcome to HEF Loaderman380! :drinkup

thejdman04

Some years back I worked on the docks loading bulk cargo into ships. When we were loading we went around the clock untill we were done, usually two and a half days (60 hours). We would get two one hour meal breaks per day. Also I plowed snow for an airport during our slow time at the docks, and worked three days straight once, with the same meal breaks. Sure couldn't do that anymore, probably shouldn' have done it then either.

welcome