• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

02 GMC C-6500 With Allison Auto Probs

RTSmith

Occupation
Amateur demolition & dirt pusher
Good Morning! I am stuck, literally. I have a '02 GMC C-6500 with the 8.1L gas and Allison AT-545. It was a Penske moving truck that had the frame shortened and a small dump body installed. Generally works great for the little hauling I do. Hauled rock yesterday, all's good except the tarp wouldn't work. Raised the bed, find a reversing solenoid on the frame that runs to the tarp is stuck. Replaced it. Tarp works.

But now the truck won't move. The parking brake (electric) is disengaging, and I can roll the truck with the engine off. But starting the engine, causes the transmission to "lock". It changes engine sounds when shifted into D or R, but it doesn't have the rear end clank it used to have. We un-did the tarp relay (just in case), but no avail.

We disconnected battery for a few moments, no difference. It almost seems like it is in 2 gears at once. ? Maybe? All fuses seem good. One other "detective" item is that when the key is cycled off, the electric parking brakes engage. I don't recall that happening before.

Last caveat- I didn't do the solenoid work. One of the techs at my place did. But he swears nothing else happened or was weird.

Any help, greatly appreciated.