• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

04 caterpillar 953c final drive oil type

Travis Bales

I recently purchased a 953c . after check the final drive oil I noticed one side was alittle grey in color . so I decided to drain it and refill and check after running and more then likely drain again to make sure I get all the old oil out . I have figured out that it takes to-4 sae50 and I have drained the oil and just realized I'm probably alittle less then a gallon short on my sae 50 .. im curious if it would be OK to top it off with sae 30 and run for a day then drain and put sae 50 back in it ? any help is greatly appreciated..thanks

Attachments

• IMG952716(1).jpg
    IMG952716(1).jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 3

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Provided both the SAE30 and SAE50 oils are TO-4 specification you won't do any harm in mixing them.

TBH if it's only a gallon out of the 4-gallon total capacity of the final drive you could leasily eave the mixture in until the next time you decide to change it.

Have you got an Operation & Maintenance Manual for it yet.? If you are doing all your own maintenance it would be very useful. Post a Serial Number and I can look up the correct one for you.

Travis Bales

thank you for your response .. they are both to- 4 oils . I haven't had a chance to get one yet .I noticed in another post of yours that you were saying you can just download the pdf ? is that for my machine aswell ? thanks again for your help

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
So for a 953C there are three possible O&M Manual options.

To download an O&M Manual click this LINK. You can enter the Cat Publications web site as a Guest.

If your machine Serial Number prefix is 2ZN up to 1749, put SEBU6935 in the box and click Search.
If your machine Serial Number prefix is 2ZN1750 or higher, put SEBU7115 in the box and click Search.
If your machine Serial Number prefix is BBX, put SEBU7495 in the box and click Search.

One of the three options below should pop up. Add it to your cart and you can have a download available in 5 minutes or less. If you want a paper copy or a CD then S&H charges will be added to the order.

1699270146289.png
1699270222218.png
1699270338435.png

Last edited:

Travis Bales

So for a 953C there are three possible O&M Manual options.

To download an O&M Manual click this LINK. You can enter the Cat Publications web site as a Guest.

If your machine Serial Number prefix is 2ZN up to 1749, put SEBU6935 in the box and click Search.
If your machine Serial Number prefix is 2ZN1750 or higher, put SEBU7115 in the box and click Search.
If your machine Serial Number prefix is BBX, put SEBU7495 in the box and click Search.

One of the three options below should pop up. Add it to your cart and you can have a download available in 5 minutes or less. If you want a paper copy or a CD then S&H charges will be added to the order.

View attachment 298068
View attachment 298069
View attachment 298070
thank you

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
If it's a 2004 then it's a BBX series. I have one of the same vintage.