• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

04 Deere 160LC

jmakovic

This is off the topic but as a new user I cant start new threads so I hope you can bare with me on this. I am in the process of buying a 04 Deere 160LC Excavator with 3700 hrs, recent tracks,rollers and the pump was also replaced about 1000 hours ago. It has a very good brand (the best I'm told) hydraulic thumb and shows no signs of leaks anywhere on the machine. Starts right up with no smoke at all which I heard was rare. Its a private owner who is a known contractor in my area but he is moving out of state to take on another line of work as he gets closer to retirement. He says the machine has no liens and has been maintained well. It looks like it has been maintained mechanically and cosmetically. I am in need of an inspection company that can possibly do a full check on the entire machine as well as test the oils for any metal or other items that shouldnt be in it. Can anyone help with a contact number or suggestion on inspection companies in Sullivan County,NY as well as where I can go to check for a UCC filing on it. I have his company name and the unit ID number off the tag. Any help would be greatly appreciatted!

jrtraderny

This is off the topic but as a new user I cant start new threads so I hope you can bare with me on this. I am in the process of buying a 04 Deere 160LC Excavator with 3700 hrs, recent tracks,rollers and the pump was also replaced about 1000 hours ago. It has a very good brand (the best I'm told) hydraulic thumb and shows no signs of leaks anywhere on the machine. Starts right up with no smoke at all which I heard was rare. Its a private owner who is a known contractor in my area but he is moving out of state to take on another line of work as he gets closer to retirement. He says the machine has no liens and has been maintained well. It looks like it has been maintained mechanically and cosmetically. I am in need of an inspection company that can possibly do a full check on the entire machine as well as test the oils for any metal or other items that shouldnt be in it. Can anyone help with a contact number or suggestion on inspection companies in Sullivan County,NY as well as where I can go to check for a UCC filing on it. I have his company name and the unit ID number off the tag. Any help would be greatly appreciatted!

jmakovic,
The UCC filing if any would be on record @ the county clerks office of the county the owner lives in. As far as an inspection I normally have my Product Support Rep. from my Cat or Deere dealer look at most machines for me. They can measure the undercarriage and look for known issues peculiar to each machine.
jr

jmakovic

Thanks for your help.... I will check it out tomorrow at clerks office and also try to get some help from my local deere dealer. Is there anyway to run the ID # of the machine through a national UCC filing list or is that unheard of?

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
jmakovic, I moved your post to it's own thread. New members need three posts in ongoing threads before you can post your own. This helps keep the spammers out. More info about this Here.

To help with your question on the UCC filing and checking of liens, with his company name and VIN of the machine you should be able to search the State UCC filings. Alabama has a nice UCC online service and here's New York's UCC website. Hope this helps.

Canadian_digger

Recent tracks and pump changed a 1000hrs ago, on a machine with only 3700 hours. Something does not seem right We had a 03 160CLC it had about 6000hrs on it when we sold it and it still had the original track and pump.

Jim Dandy

I agree with Canadian Digger. I have a 2000 hitachi 160 with 3200 hours and I have a lot of life left in the tracks and undercarraige. I would say 75% left. And a new hydraulic pump with that low hours? Ask some more questions and see if a deere dealer has a history on the machine. Sometimes trackhoes used only for utilities travel more and wear out their undercarraigs much faster. Good luck.

sultan

Recent tracks and pump changed a 1000hrs ago, on a machine with only 3700 hours. Something does not seem right We had a 03 160CLC it had about 6000hrs on it when we sold it and it still had the original track and pump.

I also agree. The pump and undercarriage are supposed to last ~10k hours or more. He may be lying about something.

No smoke on start up is not at all rare. If the engine smokes, even on start up, it is probably too worn for commercial duty. For example the 1994 CAT IT18F loader that I just bought, with almost 12k hours, does not smoke at all at any time at any temperature. Even when it is -3 degrees Celsius, and it hasn't been started for a week, I get no smoke at all.

I'd advise you to be cautious and try to check all the seller's claims for yourself. I don't really have any contacts in NY, so I can't really help you with finding someone else to help you with inspection. For oil sampling, I know that a CAT dealership can test oil samples if bring the samples to them.

DarrylMueller

Occupation
Excavating Contractor & Operator
I would get a little concerned when I here new pump, why a new pump? Along with UCC call the John Deer Dealer and get a full inspection done, it is well worth the piece of mind. They may know some history on the rig. Be there and ask questions, Yes oil samples are helpful.

jrtraderny

Thanks for your help.... I will check it out tomorrow at clerks office and also try to get some help from my local deere dealer. Is there anyway to run the ID # of the machine through a national UCC filing list or is that unheard of?

not sure about a national ucc filing,
but like I said the clerks office should have something. next thing is alot of finance co. drag there feet on releasing the ucc. I just got a bank release from a machine I paid off last June.
jr

csantos232

Well it all depends,if the machine was assigned all this time to work next to a pipe line for miles,lifting piping or digging ,that could wear tracks excesively.Now the pump that's another story....ironman

dist3

Occupation
Equipment Manager Enviromental and Site Contractor
Do you have a contact with your local John Deere Construction Dealership? Our local deere, cat salesperson would do this.

DGODGR

I would have to agree with most of the other posts. As I read your post the first thing that came to mind was the question (why have they been replaced so soon?). I am not saying to stay away from it if you think it's a good deal. Just be sure to do your due diligence. I would recommend that you contact the local Deere dealer to see if they serviced this machine or at least if they have the oil sample history. You will need the serial number to do this. Oil samples are MUCH more valuable if you are doing them over the life of the machine. Each machine is different and the higher number of samples will help determine compartment wear and add to the equation of how to predict remaining compartment life. A single sample can only help determine if catastrauphic failure is iminent. Samples must be taken after the compartment (and oil) has reached operating temprature. Information on the compartment oil should be given as well (when turning in the sample). Information should include brand; viscosity; age (hours of use), type; and wether or not oil had to be added to the compartment since it was last changed (to help determine if and how the oil is being consumed or is leaking). Without this information the information from the test is less accurate and paints a picture that is less clear. The dealer should also be able to tell (if it was serviced at the dealer) what & when has been serviced/repaired there.
The undercarriage should not be worn out yet (my 315 shows no visible signs of wear @ 4,000 hrs), but that can be explained by having done LOTS of traveling (or walking) or that it was driven over rocks for most of it's life. Either way if it's been replaced with a good quality undercarriage you should see it live for 10,000 hrs+ (IMO). Make sure that it was replaced completetly instead of....strike that. There is to much stuff to look for (for me to explain here). Have the product support rep (from the dealer) come out and evaluate the undercarriage. They can tell you what is good and what is not and where each component is in relation to it's useable life.
If the UC checks out the pump still could be a deal breaker. If the pump failed this early it is probable that it had a catastrauphic failure that may have poluted the entire system with metals. When this happens it can be difficult to get them out. Even if you do many times the metals may get stuck in seals and packing. The "floaties" may be gone but the ones stuck to things will create excellerated wear to the places that they come into contact with. Excessive "drift" may be evidence of bad seals which may be the result of the scenario I just described. The sample on this compartment is a must. Removing and cutting filters can help in the investigation also.
If your gut is telling you that the machine may be right for you than the investigating is warranted. This machine may be fine, just be careful. Do your homework. Most everything you need for your investigation can be obtained at the dealer. You will have to pay for some of these services. If you are serious it will be $ well spent. Good luck.

Last edited: