• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

06 CAT 277B restoration

hvguy

So far, this is easier to work on than the track loader.
Had about 80 pounds of dirt and sand in the engine compartment. Plus I found the track tensioning tools covered in cancer.
IMAG1634.jpg IMAG1635.jpg

hvguy

It looks like there are 2 big hoses and 2 small hoses going to the drive motors... Hmm

mikebramel

1 5/8 and 15/16 crow foot if I remember. Assuming the track motor bracket pivot bolt doesn't come loose. Unless these are different than the 257 style?

hvguy

well, i figured out what was wrong with the left side track.... why am I plagued with track problems?

I received a copy of the track receipt and called the MFG they bought it from. Turns out the mfg apparently sent them a 56 lug track, and they needed a 55. I verified that it actually takes a 56 and its too short and interfering with the frame and breaking the lugs off.

damn gypsies

hvguy

It gets better, so now that I need 2 new tracks for a machine that already supposedly had a new track; I called the guy I bought it from and he basically told me I got a deal and he wasn't paying anything, eat dirt.

It appears that the rear adjuster is welded? ill post a pic.

Tags

I think youd feel better just letting out a good yell....I'm guessing they "welded" that because the tracks were too big and couldn't get the adjustment needed with the bolts. The "good news" is all the bolts are just standard course thread grade 8, you should be able to grab em from a hardware store.

The tracks may be off of something else they own and just wanted to send em down the road with the machine. You could keep an eye on CL for a used set but that may take a while. If you do need to buy new tracks make sure you buy em from a reputable manufacturer, there's a lot of garbage out there for those style tracks, get the wrong ones and they'll stretch then tear real easy and you'll be right back where you are now.

I followed your other thread about the Case, you seem like a persistent person, you'll get this thing figured out , just be patient....

hvguy

I called mclaren out of California, seems reputable, looks like it'll be 2860 for 2 tracks

Tags

This may sound nuts, but try your local Cat dealer, sometimes they have good deals on those style tracks...a call doesn't cost too much, it may save you a little....

hvguy

I called them first, it's 2850 for 1 track lol. And it's another 565 for a lift pump

hvguy

Well, I pulled the plug going to the lift pump, its not getting power. I poked around in the fuse box, but I dont see its fuse. Ill check them all with a DMM and hope I find it that way.

Occupation
Driver
I called mclaren out of California, seems reputable, looks like it'll be 2860 for 2 tracks

I have a spare 277 track laying in my shop, along with brand new seals and seal puller. I also have some used undercarriage wheels and I think some new ones

hvguy

Lifted the machine today to pull the tracks... only to find out there isn't a single bearing left in the rollers.

The gypsies that sold this to me can burn in hell.

IMAG1657.jpg IMAG1658.jpg

colson04

Wow, some people's dishonesty in selling a used machine is absolutely appalling. You know they knew some major things were wrong and sent it packing without informing any future buyers. If it sounds too good to be true, it is.

hvguy

your right about that.

Im just hoping the axle and tube isn't destroyed. I just got the loose track off (which was harder than it looked) Ended up cutting the inside motor bracket tensioner bolt off since I couldnt get to it with an impact, used a sledge hammer to slide the carriage forward, rotated the front upper idler roller, unbolted the squirrel cage, used 2 straps to hold the track up off the cage, pulled it free; then using 2 pry bars, just rolled the track off like a tire.

Moving on to pulling one of the lower roller assemblies.