• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

11r22.5 tire tool?

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Bead Seater is recommended, had to take one that would not even get close to the tire shop for that.

Jumbo

Occupation
retired
But even at 67, with steel holding my back together, screwed up hips and wearing a diaper
after prostate surgery---------------I can still slip a tire off and on a 22.5 faster than anyone
on here or in most tire shops, ----------------------but I don't want to.
At 72, that point of view hold true for many things. A hundred bucks for anything is worth more than being stove up for a week after doing something I shouldn't have done but could have done, "faster and better" than the other guy....

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
Until last month, all my tire stuff was Ken-Tool. I purchased one of these as it was cheap and to my surprise it worked pretty well. Fit and finish is pretty poor and to be expected, but it does work as they advertise with a little additional effort. Using plenty of slick soap/water solution and a tire swab will ease the task.

I see they've gone up in price too:

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Top Right is a Bead Wedge, Essentially a Hammer target instead of using a typical Duck Billed tire hammer, May be a good consideration dismounting my tractor rear tires. Then are two, Bead 'Holders' not ever tried anything as those. Large piece of multiple pieces at center is the bead puller to dismount, and still uncertain of the flat piece at bottom of photo as to bead install.

Delmer

This is my favorite video, perfect music choice also!

skip to 2:30 end at 4:40 for this tool, earlier mentions using vacuum to pop the bead, I'll have to try that sometime for fun.

Interesting Dmiller, yours looks like an earlier better quality version of the bottom bead tool than the others in videos.

Truck Shop

Around here no one uses {that-what's called a golden bar} everyone just uses irons.
and depending on which tire will change while bolted to axle. A person does enough
of it a set of irons are easy enough. And all this depends on what brand the casing is,
if it's DC-Double Coins/RLB 400's those are stiff side wall and bead. Those will cause
some extra sweat no matter what your using.

Old Doug

I am kind of surprised there are not more of the big machines that will do truck tires around in use. I have never been around one maybe their not good ?

Shimmy1

I am kind of surprised there are not more of the big machines that will do truck tires around in use. I have never been around one maybe their not good ?
Because they are north of $30k. A place close to me has one, apparently there was a grant available, and the only shop help they have is someone that claims to have chronic back issues. The machine does work, but, to me, doing it by hand for the most part is really pretty easy.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
All too easy to change tires with irons and a duckbill as I was corrected on. Cheap, effective and relatively fast as opposed to manipulating the machinery.

Old Doug

I was really looking into one several years ago and they were not that bad in price but i wondered about if they were that much easyer or faster ?

4x4ford

Occupation
aunts on the strip Currently drive a 1951 chevy pa
Used a machine when I worked in the bus shop for Opryland in Nashville worked good but was a lot slower than doing them by hand but was also a lot easier on the back did all the lifting for you

Delmer

Do you have to roll the wheel and tires to and away from the machine? I assume it lifts the wheels, otherwise there wouldn't be any point. That's why some will change the tire with the rim still bolted on the truck, less handling.