• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

11r22.5 tire tool?

Truck Shop

In the shop--I would call the tire shop and start removing all 8, Gayle or Jeff would roll in eight
drives from the container by the time the force showed up. While tires were being dismounted
stems changed and new mounted I would replace all four corners of shoes and drums, if disc
and rotors were good replace pads, if not tear down wheel end and slid on ones I have built up
ready to go-new rotor, seal and bearings matching hub. With help.
I could normally change out all 4 corners of shoes and drums in less than a hour, pads 35 minutes,
a rebuilt wheel end with rotor and pads 1.4 hrs.
So while I was having Les Schwab mount up 8 drives, full brake maintenance was done at the
same time.
Cheap way, smart way to run a fleet shop getting allot accomplished in short amount of time
for not too many dollars & truck back on the road making revenue. Plus a happy driver because
he saw what was done and has confidence in what he is driving. If it doesn't need brakes then
tires are scheduled to be done at a short or full service. Kept trucks from being detained and
run out of route unnecessarily.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
We have a few spare tires on rims for emergencies, but everything else goes to the tire shop, half tons, trucks, trailers, like 16 loaders that get winter tires on and back off in the spring. I went to air up a tire on a tandem truck yesterday, and when I asked where the air chuck was, they said to run it to the tire shop.

Truck Shop

On my trip to doctor visit yesterday, Dump and pup along side highway with two blown
super singles. ran over something.

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
It wasn't moveable, both on same side of pup-on shoulder of freeway. On my return Commercial Tire
was there taking care of the problem.
Super singles do make it tough and most trucks I see don't carry a spare no matter the size. I've not seen a guy change a flat on a Class 8 myself in a lot of years beside the roadway. Usually on the cell phone and I assume reporting the problem.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
1976, fitting out a New COE Frt Lnr for sale to a Company driver, received a Budd hand Socket and a Hex Cross bar to hand drive it, plus a spare rack behind the cab. Knew even then was a waste of time watching tire gorillas hammer them on with a 1” gun.

1693TA

Occupation
1976, fitting out a New COE Frt Lnr for sale to a Company driver, received a Budd hand Socket and a Hex Cross bar to hand drive it, plus a spare rack behind the cab. Knew even then was a waste of time watching tire gorillas hammer them on with a 1” gun.
They worked alight in the Dayton wheel days but not so much with Budd, and Unimount following the tire gorillas. Seldom used anybody for tire work and did it ourselves so knew what we had. Many times tires and rims were dropped at the tire shop for mounting but actual removal and install onto the trucks was done by us. All the rollbacks had a basic tool set and impact wrench with them along with a mechanical scissor, and hydraulic jacks. Really didn't have too many emergency tire needs overall, but never needed to call for additional help as everything had a spare with it. Didn't always match but was the same size.

Last edited:

1693TA

Occupation
I bought a bead breaker like the one in the video for about $60.00 on eBay.
Quite a game changer in the bead breaking ordeal.

I borrowed one to break several tires down and they work slick. Silly something so simple didn't come along sooner. I need to purchase one myself but have not yet. Tire hammer is still used most times but this eases the process considerably for those of us with oncoming back issues.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Need one for my farm tractor rears. Bead regions are Knurled new so a Bear to get off the tire off the beads

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
Can't carry a spare anymore, someone might steal it. I think it's a time is money thing. I used to be able to go to the tire shop, and as I was backing the trailer in, Paul was standing in the door, jack in hand. with a helper, he could pop 12 tires off the trailer, spoke wheels not buds, pick the best 4 for the air lift, and break down and change 8 new tires, put them back on straight, and you're gone in an hour, or shortly over. Our own shop would take half the day to do that. Same with guys messing around with machines or trucks trying to diagnose a problem. We are really lucky to have good dealer techs. Something's wrong, call Cat, or Strongo, or Boyd, or Ajax. They might charge a lot, but you are down for a shorter time.

ahart

Hydraulic outriggers on service truck work nice for breaking down tires, though most don’t have that option. I use the 60” tire irons, I’m light and need all the leverage I can get. Still a damn work out to change a 425 steer on the side of the road when it’s 20 degrees out. I avoid tire work if at all possible but occasionally I’m forced to participate. I’m probably a candidate for slowest tire changer on HEF.

Old Doug

I dont use them much but 2 of my trucks have Daytons and if i had to do over agin i would get trucks with Daytons. I have spares and if i get to using one of the trucks alot i will figure out a good way to carry one.

1693TA

Occupation
My first rollback truck was a 1754 IH on Dayton hubs. 9.00X20 rubber. I changed it over to 10X22.5 to not fuss with tire availability but carried a spare strapped to the headboard on that truck as did most others. Tire sat in a cradle retained by a winch strap and covered. You would roll it down the deck if needed.

Tinkerer

Hydraulic outriggers on service truck work nice for breaking down tires, though most don’t have that option. I use the 60” tire irons, I’m light and need all the leverage I can get. Still a damn work out to change a 425 steer on the side of the road when it’s 20 degrees out. I avoid tire work if at all possible but occasionally I’m forced to participate. I’m probably a candidate for slowest tire changer on HEF.

I bought the bead breaking tool after I bent my lawnmower rim with a backhoe outrigger.
I quit breaking beads with a hammer after I put a nasty dent in couple of rims.

ahart

I would imagine it is a bit more difficult to do with a backhoe than a service truck, never tried it though so I can’t say for sure.