• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

160C LC not starting

Tony5.7

I've been working on a JD 16C LC and i replaced a key switch but it still doesnt start, you turn the keyswitch and lights and everything comes on and you hear a loud click but doesnt crank. Any suggestions to try?

Tony5.7

It cranks over if you jump the starter solenoid posts so it cranks over like that but just not with the key switch

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
I would look at the L strap from the starter solenoid to the armature. Sometimes they get loose. Loosen it up and retighten it to promote good contact. You said you heard a loud click. That's where I'd be looking

Tony5.7

If the hour meter is turned on? And yea theres a click when you turn key to on position but then you get nothing when you try to start the machine

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
That would be your master or accessory relay. There should be a safety relay. They usually look like some deformed disc . Make sure that is getting powered through the crank position of your key switch. BTW, have you ruled out your ignition switch as not being defective? Perhaps it's a will fit, but not 100% correct?

Tony5.7

Yup, the switch is brand new on it. I'll try that and see if it gets me closer to figuring this out

Tony5.7

Would the one with the two big wires going to it would be the master relay?

Attachments

• 15918937563325084440371971523611.jpg
    15918937563325084440371971523611.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 6

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
Yep, that big gold booger. That's the safety relay. It disallows cranking while the engine is running. That's why you gotta make absolutely sure there is no unwanted signal from the alternator or ignition circuit.
Typically, I speak in generalization. I have no direct experience with deere.

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
That's why I asked about the hour meter. If its spinning without the engine running, odds are a possible alternator problem, bad ignition switch and the list goes on. Let's start at the beginning. Why did you replace the ignition switch?

Tony5.7

So i started working with an excavating company and they were going around showing me all the problems their machines had and they told me that one just needed an ignition switch, because when you turn the switch all the dash lights come on and everything works like its supposed it just doesn't want to send the signal to crank

Tony5.7

They have the technical manual for it but ive already looked through it and it didnt help me any