• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1840 drive motor

Joel59

How huge of a job is it change out a drive motor on a Case 1840? Apparently the spline is stripped? Any info? Thanks.

mikebramel

Not bad but if the splines on the hydraulic motor are stripped there is probably damage going the female end

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
Hi Joel59, Have you lost drive on one side of the machine or has the machine lost drive completely? What makes you say 'apparently' ?

Joel59

Hi Joel59, Have you lost drive on one side of the machine or has the machine lost drive completely? What makes you say 'apparently' ?

I say apparently because this is a machine advertised to sell. I don't have a bunch of money to spend up front (isn't that always the story :) ) and was wondering if it is worth making an offer on. Asking price is around $4000. It is a 1991. Dealer says "drive motor splines are stripped". Thanks again.

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
The reason why I asked the questions is that the 1840 has a pretty solid drive chain set up, including the motors. A 'stripped' spline on the motor, sounds very unusual.
Have you actually spoken to the dealer about this? There are questions to be answered before you could really commit to buying. A motor for one of these is around $1800 - $2200 US & there are a few different options re type. Depending on serial number, the drive motor may be obsolete & TWO new ones will be required to make it drive properly..........
Like I say alot more information is required :drinkup