• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1845c Sprocket Shaft Bearit

Zewnten

I need to replace the needle bearings in the sprocket on the right side sode of the machine, sprocket moves back and forth. I'm guessing I need to loosen the chains pull the shaft and then work the sprocket out one of the access holes. I guessing 5 hours to do it. Thoughts or suggestions? (Asked before in the skid section but no go, sorry for the double post)

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
I need to replace the needle bearings in the sprocket on the right side sode of the machine, sprocket moves back and forth. I'm guessing I need to loosen the chains pull the shaft and then work the sprocket out one of the access holes. I guessing 5 hours to do it. Thoughts or suggestions? (Asked before in the skid section but no go, sorry for the double post)
Been a few years since I got that deep into the chain box of an 1845c but the first thing I would do is move the cab forward after properly supporting the boom.

Then I would start removing the chains from the chain box followed by at least one of the drive axle assemblies. That should give you good access to get the center gear assembly out of the gear box.

Actually might not be a bad idea to remove both axle assemblies to be able to clean and inspect them both. And be sure to make notes on which way gears are installed and any spacers or thrust washers are installed! I would be ready to have to replace the shaft the center gear rotates on as I believe the bearings run on the shaft.

While you have the cab forward a good inspection of the other side would be a very good idea.