• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

188D Water In Pan - Immediate Actions?

1968 Case 580CK

Jess......Well, too bad it wasnt something as simple as the fuel shut-off......but as you dig into it, it may turn out to be something minor. Good luck with all the work......and zap us some pics of the process.

shawneecat

Occupation
Retired
o rings on wet cylinder sleeves, rubber is probably rotten, leaking coolant in the oil, almost 50 year old o rings

Last edited:

ScottAR

I'm with Shawneecat... Happened on my 207D case which is the same block. Could also be a rotted cup/freeze plug in the head. There are 3? right down the middle that separate the coolant inside the head and the oil on the rocker arm assembly. Also happened on the same engine as I am just that lucky.

check

I'm with Shawneecat... Happened on my 207D case which is the same block. Could also be a rotted cup/freeze plug in the head. There are 3? right down the middle that separate the coolant inside the head and the oil on the rocker arm assembly. Also happened on the same engine as I am just that lucky.
Another problem with wet cylinder sleeves is that they get electrolysis pinholes, especially if run with poor coolant. I have seen this much more often than o-ring leaks. It will be easy to see pressurized with the pan off. If the piston is down, it will be leaking between piston and cylinder. If it's up, you'll see the stream.

CMSMOKE

When you try to start it again, drain the coolant from the bottom of the oil pan. Just remove or loosen the plug long enough to let the coolant out. This may save you a lot of money in bearing and crankshaft work.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
When you try to start it again, drain the coolant from the bottom of the oil pan. Just remove or loosen the plug long enough to let the coolant out. This may save you a lot of money in bearing and crankshaft work.

Also if possible turn engine over by hand a couple turns to be sure there is no water above the pistons. Water above pistons can cause major problems like bent rods. If you can not turn by hand easy bump the starter a little at a time till it has turned a couple revolutions. Do this with shut down engaged also if possible.