• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1967 580CK diesel won't start

TSemenuk

I've searched threads and it seems there may be a few conditions to check. I want to get some specific troubleshooting recommendations. This tractor has always started with a snort of ether but today it would only fire long enough to burn off the ether. It wouldn't continue to run.
It was running a few weeks ago and has been sitting in a garage. It fired up easily after winter hibernation with its customary snort of ether.
It's not puffing smoke while cranking today so I suspect no fuel. The fuel shut off is rotating to both stops. Could it be that it's not operating properly inside the pump?
I bled the filter and fuel flows easily to that point.
I don't want to crack anything else open and introduce air into the fuel system without knowing what I'm doing.
Should I take the top cover off to verify the shut off is working properly?
Some basic checks would be appreciated. I don't have a manual.

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
Crack the injector lines at the injectors and see if you are getting any fuel there. Make sure your shutoff cable is working properly and that it's not slipping on lever.

TSemenuk

Crack the injector lines at the injectors and see if you are getting any fuel there. Make sure your shutoff cable is working properly and that it's not slipping on lever.
The shut off cable isn't slipping at the pump lever. I did check that. I read in other posts that the mechanisms inside might be stuck so I wondered if that's something I can verify as a next step if there's no fuel at the injectors.
I think I'll take the hood off to get at the injector lines to loosen them. I take it I just loosen them and crank the starter to check for fuel leaking from the fittings?

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
Remove the fuel return line and fitting from top of pump and see if you get fuel flow when you crank engine over.

you can remove the top of pump to check shutoff lever.

Good idea on checking injection lines.

TSemenuk

Remove the fuel return line and fitting from top of pump and see if you get fuel flow when you crank engine over.

you can remove the top of pump to check shutoff lever.

Good idea on checking injection lines.
A little fuel trickled out of the return line and nothing when cranking over the engine.

TSemenuk

Loosened the second injector supply line at the injector and no fuel. Next it seems I should take the top cover off the pump to check the shutoff lever. I've cleaned the top of the pump body with carb cleaner and loosened the three screws. Are there any tricks to taking the top off? Tap it to break the seal? What should I be looking for inside?

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
do a search for "RoosaMaster metering valve"..
The mv might be stuck or the return line might be clogged.. take the line off the top, loosen the fuel tank cap & use a blow gun to blow back to the tank thru the return line.. listen for bubbles.

TSemenuk

Pictures say a lot. Can someone tell me where the timing marks are so I can set it to TDC to remove the pump.

Attachments

• 6003A744-370C-47B7-BE5E-C06D221ED28C.jpeg
    6003A744-370C-47B7-BE5E-C06D221ED28C.jpeg
    138 KB · Views: 23
  • 43BA1E1B-FBF1-46E9-A414-6AED5735039C.jpeg
    43BA1E1B-FBF1-46E9-A414-6AED5735039C.jpeg
    138.3 KB · Views: 23

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
Remove the side window, you will see a stationary mark as you turn the engine the other mark will come around. Align them and then remove the pump.

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
You can if you want but when the two marks in pump are aligned the engine should be in time. Providing the injection pump was installed correctly to begin with. There is a teardrop shaped window on bell housing that you can check engine timing there.

TSemenuk

Well the pump is rebuilt and the tractor is running but every injector is leaking at the fuel line fitting. I bought new rubber seals since the old ones were chewed up or missing. I pushed them into fuel line couplers. Are the seals in the right spot? Should I tighten them more?

Attachments

• F706751E-6AC2-4F98-825B-070C35D81385.jpeg
    F706751E-6AC2-4F98-825B-070C35D81385.jpeg
    897.8 KB · Views: 16
  • 55B8CE22-E9B7-4A50-9D6A-D85100E82428.jpeg
    55B8CE22-E9B7-4A50-9D6A-D85100E82428.jpeg
    775 KB · Views: 16
  • A9F59C7F-C326-41BB-9A02-A1A0BD3CBC82.jpeg
    A9F59C7F-C326-41BB-9A02-A1A0BD3CBC82.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 16

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
There are no seals that go between the injector and the injector line the seal is on the end of the line
. Those seals ( in the first photo) go in the return fuel line fittings.

TSemenuk

So just metal on metal? When I took them off 3 out of 4 had a rubber seal in the coupler on the line. What I bought for the supply lines was A58962. I bought the return line seals 87017023 and they're smaller than the ones I have on the supply lines.
Who knows if it has replacement lines. The engine serial is 2628105 and the parts diagram for that model (attached) show supply lines with separate couplers and a grommet. Unfortunately the part descriptions on the Case site are messed up.
The injectors prior to 2627377 look different than mine but the fuel lines look the same. I seem to have a combination of earlier supply lines and later injectors from both series.

Attachments

• Fuel injectors SER. NO. 2627377 _ ENG.png
    Fuel injectors SER. NO. 2627377 _ ENG.png
    9.8 KB · Views: 9

melben

Occupation
Retired 50 Yrs with Case dealership
RE Read what Coy said, There were never any rubber seals on the high pressure injector lines, I do not care if someone for whatever reason put something in there. I have done hundreds of them over 52 years as a Case tech, the only seal rings are in the return line fittings! #16 in your diagram is the metal seat That crimps onto the line and not a loose piece once it is in place.

TSemenuk

#16 in the diagram is what I'm calling a coupler. It's loose on the line and is turned to join to the injector. What is #15?

TSemenuk

Perfect, thanks for the extra details everyone. I will be picking the rubber grommets out with a dental pick standing on my head. That should be fun avoiding removing the lines.
On the other end I read the torque for the banjo bolts is 35 ft. lbs. That seems like a lot. Can someone confirm this? I don't want to strip the threads on my rebuilt pump. It's like gold to me right now.