• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1968 case 530ck transmission locked up

Caden

Hi I’m new to this forum and looking for some advice. I just bought this case backhoe yesterday it is a 1968 case 530 ck with the 4 cylinder gas motor. I was moving it around my yard today and all of a sudden it acts like the transmission is locked up.. I don’t believe it to be the brakes as if I put the outriggers out with the shuttle shift in neutral and the trans in neutral I can spin freely both rear tires. Now even with the tractor off the ground in every gear 1-4 in first or reverse on the shuttle shift lever or in high and low letting the clutch out kills the motor.. now in the transmission is in gear and shuttle shift is in neutral I can let the clutch out without it being locked up but if the transmission is in neutral and I shift the shuttle shift in forward or reverse it’s locked up. The lever feels like it’s shifting fine so I believe it to be inside. Any advice on what to inspect first? I’m not sure but I believe this is the dry clutch model. the shuttle shift is on the left side and the range shifter is in the right.

Billrog

Occupation
band mill , backhoe and dump truck
Since the back wheels spin freely I don't think it's your crown and pinion gear. Pop the top off the tran and see it it's stuck between gears.

Billrog

Occupation
band mill , backhoe and dump truck
Sorry I'm not of more help not a mechanic, Had a few old machines over the yrs. and fixed by trial and error often. There's plenty of good help and advice here to help you get up and going again.

Caden

Since the back wheels spin freely I don't think it's your crown and pinion gear. Pop the top off the tran and see it it's stuck between gears.
Good news, today I started the tractor up still acted the same in 1-4 then I shifted it back to the starting position “s” and it acted as if it was 1st gear drove ahead and backed up about 10 feet. After doing that it went back to operating as normal.. beats me idk what caused it but something was stuck. And now it’s good again.

stinky64

Occupation
big truck wrench/fixer of things
Did the temperature change much between no-go and go? New to you machine- did you check fluids for water intrusion? May have been ice in the system not allowing flow to shuttle. Just an idea.