• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1971 JD 300B stalled

eltriola

I started my backhoe today and it stalled after running for a few minutes, it started right back up and ran for a few minutes but stalled when I put it in gear and started to move. This happened one more time and then I started to look for reasons. I found that the motor oil was on the low side and so was the hydraulic fluid, I thought that this might cause safety shutoff but wasn't sure with a machine this old, I topped the fluids off and the machine ran for a couple of hours with no problem. I was off the machine rolling some rocks into the bucket when it just stalled, it sounded like it ran out of fuel but it has plenty, when I went to start it wouldn't turn over when I turned the key, no juice at all to the starter, nothing when I turned the key. The batteries, battery wires and alternator are all new.

Thanks in advance for any ideas

grandpa

Sounds like to me you have two problems going on there. The first problem is a fuel problem, like filters clogged. The second problem is problably in the starter it self if all the cables and batteries are new, could also be a switch problem. Take a test light and see if you got power to the starter and to the solenoid when the switch is turn on.

diggerdave1958

Hey, eltriola. The frist Backhoe i ever purchase was a JD 300B and i agree with grandpa sound like two problem there, there is a fuel-lift pump on the engine that might be on its way out and also change the fuel filters. And my old 300B use to go thou starter alot until i quite have them rebuild by the same guy over and over and just when to a deal a purchase a new one then she did'nt give me any more problem until i sold her and that is a story for another day, lol