• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1979 Case 580B please help

Teclynx

I recently just bought a 580b and I got the engine running strong but for some reason I can’t seem to engage the hydraulics or PTO, I’m a newbie with tractors so sorry if I sound dumb but I need help, I don’t know if it needs to be in a special gear, if the clutch needs to be down and let out slow if the parking brake need to be on or what I’m doing wrong because I have no controls on the boom or the bucket. Any help would be great thank you

petepilot

I recently just bought a 580b and I got the engine running strong but for some reason I can’t seem to engage the hydraulics or PTO, I’m a newbie with tractors so sorry if I sound dumb but I need help, I don’t know if it needs to be in a special gear, if the clutch needs to be down and let out slow if the parking brake need to be on or what I’m doing wrong because I have no controls on the boom or the bucket. Any help would be great thank you
did you see the machine run and operate before you bought it?

petepilot

on that year tractor the hyds. should be alive as soon as the motor is running . can`t think of any disconnects in the system . have you checked all the fluids ? could be out of oil from a leak somewhere at worst a bad pump

mitch504

check and see if the hydraulic pump in front of the engine is turning, those crankshaft couplers like to strip.

Make sure there is hydraulic oil in it.

Like petepilot said, there is no disconnect, if the engine is running, you should have hydraulics.

Teclynx

Ok I’ll check it tomorrow morning to see. It’s located front of engine on side or directly in front before the fan I’m assuming

Teclynx

check and see if the hydraulic pump in front of the engine is turning, those crankshaft couplers like to strip.
Ok I’ll check it tomorrow morning to see. It’s located front of engine on side or directly in front before the fan I’m assuming
Make sure there is hydraulic oil in it.

Like petepilot said, there is no disconnect, if the engine is running, you should have hydraulics.

Tinkerer

Welcome to HEF, Teclynx !
On the front of the engine crankshaft is the hydraulic pump and drive assembly.
# 11 is the coupling for it. It is has a female spline in it. It sometimes wears out along with the splined shaft in the pump. Then the pump no longer turns. It is hard to see if the pump is turning.

pump.png

Teclynx

# 11 is the coupling for it. It is has a female spline in it. It sometimes wears out along with the splined shaft in the pump. Then the pump no longer turns. It is hard to see if the pump is turning.

View attachment 212025
Ok great thank you. I will check it out and let you know soon

Teclynx

View attachment 212025

Do you know what type and amount of Hydraulic Fluid that is recommended

Teclynx

Yes I agree I ordered one yesterday I also got The hydraulics working but the main line that is a Steel pipe on passenger side that feeds to the hydraulic pump has a hole in it can I put a repair sleeve on that or should I just buy a new line if so do you know the part number or the diameter size of the pipe

Attachments

• 80FDE7A4-F0F9-435A-84BB-D7C3921D0DCE.jpeg
    80FDE7A4-F0F9-435A-84BB-D7C3921D0DCE.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 9
  • 81A9EB1E-A18B-4864-9A4F-80FAFA1F85E0.png
    81A9EB1E-A18B-4864-9A4F-80FAFA1F85E0.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 9
  • 1DDFFC0A-84F3-4A8B-9C57-A1E3CEB9A5E6.jpeg
    1DDFFC0A-84F3-4A8B-9C57-A1E3CEB9A5E6.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 9

mitch504

Nope, no repair sleeve, that line will have around 2000 psi pressure in it. Your best bet is probably to take it off and take it to a welding shop and let them braze it.

Teclynx

Nope, no repair sleeve, that line will have around 2000 psi pressure in it. Your best bet is probably to take it off and take it to a welding shop and let them braze it.
Ok that kinda what I figured, it looks like a nightmare to remove but maybe not to bad