• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1985 gmc brigadier speedometer not working

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
I have the GMC General and the speed just bounces around, I know by RPM where I'm at in speed. Use a phone or whatever to find speed and then match the RPM to the speed to the gear you are in.

soapstoneguy

L10--10 gal sounds right and a full flow with by-pass filter, Just drain the coolant replace
with pinkish-red extended life coolant. 5109 for fuel filter-should be.
Thank you Sir! Drained the coolant this afternoon and just looks like dirty water. Going to throw some distilled water in it and run for 5 min and drain...do it a couple cycles to see if it clears up before finishing it off. Crazy what a little steam cleaning, washing, elbow grease and armorall wipes will do to an old truck. She's sparkling now!

Shimmy1

Thank you Sir! Drained the coolant this afternoon and just looks like dirty water. Going to throw some distilled water in it and run for 5 min and drain...do it a couple cycles to see if it clears up before finishing it off. Crazy what a little steam cleaning, washing, elbow grease and armorall wipes will do to an old truck. She's sparkling now!
5 minutes isn't going to do much. I'd fill it with the hose, run it until the temp gauge comes off the cold mark, do that a couple times, then do your distilled flush. The last one I'd run it 20 miles, let it cool overnight before draining.

soapstoneguy

Any of you guys run 15w40 for power steering fluid in these? Have an old dozer that runs that for everything. Sure is nice when you go to service that thing as you only need one oil and you're set. Wish they were all like that haha.

soapstoneguy

5 minutes isn't going to do much. I'd fill it with the hose, run it until the temp gauge comes off the cold mark, do that a couple times, then do your distilled flush. The last one I'd run it 20 miles, let it cool overnight before draining.
I was told buy an old cat mechanic don't mix coolants and don't ever put water in that isn't distilled...? Said even on a flush when you are going to let it warm up. Only time you could do that is if you were just running the hose to clean something out but the drain was open and it wasn't going to heat up or run through the system..?

cfherrman

I agree don't use hose water I would buy distilled and buy around 20 some gallons. Filled up with a distilled run and get it enough to operating temperature l. Let it cool off and drain it out and fill it up with the distilled again I do it three times like this. Then I go with 50/50 of ELC coolant jugs are only 10 bucks where I get them at. Elc is mixed fleet so I put in everything including my wife's minivan but requires a flush. Don't forget there's probably block drains.

I would like to know about the 15W40 in power steering systems as well I think you can do it but I haven't had the balls to try.

Truck Shop

There are some power steering systems that ran motor oil from factory, most were 10x40.
would 15x40 kill it probably not----what type of fluid is in it now?-atf? if so stay with it.
It's not the pump--it's what the steering gear manufacture required.

soapstoneguy

There are some power steering systems that ran motor oil from factory, most were 10x40.
would 15x40 kill it probably not----what type of fluid is in it now?-atf? if so stay with it.
It's not the pump--it's what the steering gear manufacture required.
Doesn't seem to be any in there at the moment and was going to replace the filter on it so figured maybe I'd be ok to put 15w40 in there once I do that. I can't get any to register on the dipstick unfortunately.

Truck Shop

Doesn't seem to be any in there at the moment and was going to replace the filter on it so figured maybe I'd be ok to put 15w40 in there once I do that. I can't get any to register on the dipstick unfortunately.
Being a GMC I'm going to bet ATF--but a photo of the type of pump would help. Some were
spec'd with Saginaw pumps some with Vickers. The Saginaw type normally run atf, Vickers
either one.

IceHole

Any of you guys run 15w40 for power steering fluid in these? Have an old dozer that runs that for everything. Sure is nice when you go to service that thing as you only need one oil and you're set. Wish they were all like that haha.
Aw32 or atf for power steering.

IceHole

I think it's the expense plus ambition. Off road not required, if used commercially yes it
has to be a working item.
Ambition? You say that like I'm sitting on the couch fingering my bellybutton and not working 4 jobs and cinstantly have a few dozen projects going on.

Try finding speedometer parts for an 70s L8000 for example...

Strange hill to stand on!

I've never had it to be an issue in any truck I've owned or run.
How would the DOT even know anyhow?