• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1986 International S1600 problems

David Richardson

Just picked this Dump truck up today. It's in pretty good shape, however it has a pretty bad steering wander. I'm fairly new to this, so I don't know anything about these types of vehicles. Completely different league. I need to haul some heavy equipment, hence the need. It has the hydraulic brakes.
Second problem, brake pressure light comes on and off at higher speeds and I lose power to both the power steering and the brake pedal. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks
Dave.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Brakes and steering sound like the pump to me or possibly the hydro-boost if equipped. Wander could be tires, wheel bearings, kingpins, tie rods, steering shaft or u-joints, spring shackles, steering gear. Time to turn the wheel and have somebody watch for worn out stuff. I assume frame is straight and alignment is close but it could be dog tracking as well. Poke, prod, pry whatever it takes to identify worn parts. Kingpins can be checked with front jacked up just enough to get a long prybar under the tire, pry up and see how much slop there is. Steering gear is manly how much wheel movement there is before tires move. Most of the wear items aren't hard to identify.

Junkyard

56wrench

If everything checks out good, check the toe-in and also see if the front tire tread is feathered in one direction