• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1987 cat-426 no 1st gear

towbar

Occupation
retired
I've had 4 tranny problems in the 20 years with this machine but this last one is a new twist. Shifter has had more of a tendency to spring OUT of detent in 1st gear than any other gear for quite a while now. Today the rig stopped engaging at all in 1st, the lever goes into detent but it doesn't engage. The other 3 speeds work fine, so does the shuttle lever on the column which I fixed just months ago. I fear this might be a "remove to investigate" event!

towbar

Occupation
retired
That was my son's doing (standing on the left). THIS one was was mine a month after rebuilding the entire cabin, could have broken all the glass again ....but I got away with it :)

426-ravine.jpg

HarleyHappy

Occupation
Welder/Mechanic
Yep, it’s certainly paying you back, you deserve it. Lol
When I was clearing my lot for my new house, I blew 2 valve stems off, working around the stumps.
In the future when I put new tires on, I’m putting valve stem guards on like my Kubota has. Not sure why they aren’t on evr backhoe.

towbar

Occupation
retired
When people put dualies on, the main wheel valves go on the inside, might be a good idea all the time unless you have leaky tires that need frequent reinflation.