• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1993 580SK fan belt replacement

James S Coad

Please advise me on the most effective way to replace this belt .
The old belt finally gave out, gone.
Am I correct that I can still start and raise the boom, that the hydraulic pump is turned by the spline in the engine and then place locking arm in place, then proceed with counter weight and pump

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
If the water pump is belt driven I would not run it for more than a minute or 2 at a time without letting it cool off for a while.

mitch504

It's a real pain however you do it, but I don't pull the chinweight. I just reach down and take the 4 bolts out, then pry the adapter forward 3/16" and slip the new belt through.

James S Coad

It's a real pain however you do it, but I don't pull the chinweight. I just reach down and take the 4 bolts out, then pry the adapter forward 3/16" and slip the new belt through.
Hello.
Thankyou. I'm not sure what you mean by "adapter". Is that the pump itself
? Any further information would be great. I'm really hoping to do it this way but saw another post that said you could bend the pulley and I wouldn't want to do that
Thanks again

Delmer

#16 is one of four bolts that come out, then slide 14 back on the shaft to get enough room to slip the new belt through. Take a look at the splines on the pump shaft, work some moly grease into the threads while you have it loose, if it's rusty or dirty, clean it first. Check the crankshaft pulley for wobble with the engine running, check all the other pulleys for bearings feeling gritty, alignment, nicks or bends in the vees. Especially the fan. Check the front engine bolts for tightness and any movement of the mounts for engine or pump. Worn paint, or rust seeping are the biggest signs if they're not obviously loose.

mitch504

The adapter is a 4-bolt flange that bolts to the center of the pulley that the splined shaft on the pump slides into. You won't bend the pulley if you push forward on the handle of your pry bar so that the pressure is in the center of the crank, rather than pulling back which would put it on the periphery. The pulley on that machine is much more robust that the V-pulley on older ones.

Weird: I posted this 2 hrs ago, it didn't post, but showed up dim in the bottom window when I opened the thread back up.

Tinkerer

Weird: I posted this 2 hrs ago, it didn't post, but showed up dim in the bottom window when I opened the thread back up.
I have had that happen also quite often.
I'm probably wrong (again) but I think if I exited the webpage before the post was completely loaded and that is what happened.
At times, I still have problems with HEF pages and postings taking forever to load.
It isn't my browser or internet service, because I can go to a different website when HEF is stalled out and new pages load instantly.

James S Coad

Hello, do you think I could make it work on a vGroove 1" x 5' fan belt ?
It surely would help.
I was thinking about purchasing 2 -
1/2" x 5', running them side by side.
Did your application have a tensioner?
If so did you utilize it or skip it ?

Kindly James

James S Coad

You know what, I've never heard of these adjustable v-belts until now.
I'm going to order one from Amazon, install it inside out, with or without the tensioner and see if it works.
Worst case scenario, it doesn't work
Best case scenario, while golly gee, it WORKS

HarleyHappy

Occupation
Welder/Mechanic
How’s it going to work on the outside with the tensioner?
Good luck, sincerely.

Delmer

Bad idea, put the OEM belt on, or a Gates etc. And you won't have to do it again for another twenty years, this is not something to see if it gets by for three months then blows your engine because it fails. Those segmented belts run fine as V belts, but they hate rubbing and that's what you'd be doing running on a multi v. You'd be just as well splicing leather and hoping that works.