• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1994 Cat 3176 engine

Sk1970

1994 Cat 3176 s/n 9ck its in tandem dump truck 350 hp. 270,000 miles. Anyone know if these engines are any good?

cfherrman

I believe it's a smaller engine and in a tandem dump truck you are going to want a bigger engine even if it's in the same power range

Shimmy1

1994 Cat 3176 s/n 9ck its in tandem dump truck 350 hp. 270,000 miles. Anyone know if these engines are any good?

Not the worst engine for a tandem, but probably on the second page of acceptable candidates. A C12 is light-years better, so is a 3306, M11, ISM, 8.3, 50 Series, ........

Tyler d4c

Not the worst engine for a tandem, but probably on the second page of acceptable candidates. A C12 is light-years better, so is a 3306, M11, ISM, 8.3, 50 Series, ........
I'll agree on you about the c12 well the rest where it's level I suppose. I wouldn't want a 8.3 in a tandem here in the pa hills even with our c12 I wish for another 3 liters and 600 ;)

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
Very interesting engine and innovative for the time. One of the most efficient engines ever made by Cat if you look at BSFC, blah blah. The two piece block on the A and B is weird. Leak prone.

Not many people around that understand them & have the tools to work on them. Electronics can be hard to source. Cat put some of the sensors in the ECM. Like the boost sensor. Need a boost sensor? Buy a ECM, sucker. Good luck finding someone with the correct software to program it.

Pre-ET, Which means a ECAT is needed for a few things. Dealer won’t be much help.

Good luck and have buckets of cash when it breaks.

mekanik

I had the good fortune of working on a few. Had one come to the shop ran fine but no power. They had spent a lot of money throwing parts at it.
The boost sensor is in the ECM there are two #4 fittings on the ECM one is boost pressure the other connects to the air inlet piping. One port on the ECM is NPT and the other is ORB. The ORB is the boost connection if you cross the lines and put the boost line on the NPT connection the engine will have no power.

Tyler d4c

After a quick search I found there was the ecm with the sensors then they went to a 40 pin like a 3406e could the newer setup be fitted. Or even a 70 pin off a c12.

Coaldust

Occupation
Lot of similarities between the 3176C and the C12 with the 40 pin ADEM 2 ECM. Probably could mix and match if one was inclined & crafty.

Shimmy1

Lot of similarities between the 3176C and the C12 with the 40 pin ADEM 2 ECM. Probably could mix and match if one was inclined & crafty.
If a 3176 lays down, I'd guess the smartest play would be to put a C12 in it's place. Last spring, I was in a Cat shop to pick up a machine and saw a guy working on one. He was glueing the head onto the block, per Cat specs. It was the first one he'd ever worked on, and he said it would be the last.

Not hopefully, he was absolutely positive it would be a one and done for him.

Tyler d4c

If a 3176 lays down, I'd guess the smartest play would be to put a C12 in it's place. Last spring, I was in a Cat shop to pick up a machine and saw a guy working on one. He was glueing the head onto the block, per Cat specs. It was the first one he'd ever worked on, and he said it would be the last.

Not hopefully, he was absolutely positive it would be a one and done for him.
We've all had one of those jobs

Coaldust

Occupation
I didn’t mind working on them. They were introduced when I was in the dealership world, so I received a lot of training on them and followed the updates. But, time moves on and they are now a red-headed step child.