• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1995 F800 Lucas Girling brakes

Dave Neubert

My truck started making a loud wining noise only when parking brake is released it also is building up a lot of heat in he hyd. system traced the sound to the unitized control valve just to the right of the master cylinder. anyone have a exploded view of this valve I'm assuming that something is stuck or blown in there causing the wining and heat build up

heymccall

Bendix HR-1 valve
Screenshot_20231011-165216_Chrome.jpg
Some info here

Old Doug

Just when you think all those should be in the junk yard someone is steal trying to use one. I have a set of manuals on the Lucas Girling some were . If that was my truck i would put a park brake on the trans and replace the rear brakes or junk the truck.

Dave Neubert

Well I'm thought about replacing the rear end and adding a park brake rebuilt the rear brakes about 6 months ago a little over $2.000 in parts

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
My ford service truck has them. I’ve been able to get some stuff through O’reillys. Calipers, wheel cylinders etc. The stuff is out there it just takes a little digging to find it. It can be a cantankerous system at times.

Dave Neubert

I just wheel cylinders on the drier side again after 6 months and the are leaking again after a week. Found out that there is a residual check valve that you can add that holds 5-10 psi that is supposed to stop this.

heymccall

I never heard about adding a residual check valve to the durapark system.

You're obviously versed in servicing the rear brakes.
First thing I always found wrong when a wheel cylinder was leaking was that, when parked, the park chamber was extended further on the failed side.

Simply run both cage bolts in until touching, while engine is off. They should both be same extension. The side that went in further was always the leak side (brake fluid, not oil).

Adjustment of the wheel cylinders unevenly is where most issues lie. Out of adjustment leaves one cylinder extending way to much on every brake cycle.

I always had to leave the axle seal out, and keep trying the drum fit to actually get them close enough.

heymccall

Whichever park chamber is in further when parked will usually point to the side leaking brake fluid....that side is usually found, by me, to have the one brake cylinder out of adjustment, causing that brake cylinder to stroke too far at each application.
Chamber rod depth can be used as a quick and dirty guide to find which side is out of adjustment, at the brake cylinders.