• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1996 740a champion grade popped a wheel seal

King of Obsolete

Occupation
marketing my life style
of course buddy barry's grader only had 3 more weeks to go on the grading contract and the wheel seal popped. it is the back one on the passenger side so i need some advice on changing this. of course we have no manuals or any pictures of how to do this. the replacement seals arrived today from edmonton. will get some pictures when buddy barry gets back with the grader tonight because it was only 300 kms away working, LOL.

thansk
KoO
Published Author

King of Obsolete

Occupation
marketing my life style
since the rainy season has come about 2 weeks early, i was late getting started on the grader. first i jacked it up and removed the wheel and pressure washed everything real good. next i pumped the oil out of the chain case and then removed the plug to get the last of the oil out. i was quite surprise to find no cover to remove the master link on the inside chain. the 1983 740a has those so the fun now begins.

can anyone scann the pages in the manual on changing this seals. we are buying the service book on ebay which we should have done right after we bought the grader over a year ago.

thansk
KoO
Published Author

Attachments

• mid-north life sept 11 2010 003.jpg
    mid-north life sept 11 2010 003.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 1,327
  • mid-north life sept 11 2010 004.jpg
    mid-north life sept 11 2010 004.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 1,102

King of Obsolete

Occupation
marketing my life style
had a good afternoon and whipped the wheel hub a part. very easy to work on but we have a little too much side movement which is why the seal failed. also it is not good for the bearings either. any ideas how to get rid of the side movement on the shaft???

thansk
KoO
Published Author

Attachments

• 740 rear wheel seal sept 11 2010 004.jpg
    740 rear wheel seal sept 11 2010 004.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 1,006
  • 740 rear wheel seal sept 11 2010 005.jpg
    740 rear wheel seal sept 11 2010 005.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 1,034

Championized

I scanned the parts plate concerned. Do you need the service manual pages? There are about 20 pages dealing with this due to the disc brakes.

Attachments

• 740 Tandem PDF.pdf
    78.2 KB · Views: 229

Championized

I guess you do. I just saw your latest post. I'm not quite sure how to post that many pages. It'll be too big a file.

King of Obsolete

Occupation
marketing my life style
excellent timing on your reply. i took the discs out and marked everything as i went. i was lucky and the brake piston stayed in place. yes i think i need more info on getting rid of the movement. you can email me at

[email protected]

for your time and trouble, i'll mail you a copy of one of my books. please include your snail mail in the email.

thansk
KoO
Published Author

Attachments

• 740 rear wheel seal sept 11 2010 008.jpg
    740 rear wheel seal sept 11 2010 008.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 1,023
  • 740 rear wheel seal sept 11 2010 012.jpg
    740 rear wheel seal sept 11 2010 012.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 1,025

Old Magnet

Hi KoO,
Doesn't look like your 9U LOL.
Don't know nothing about Champion graders but I'd say that #23 shim pack has something to do with it.
Major upgrade from your usual shop!!!!

King of Obsolete

Occupation
marketing my life style
thansk old magnet, the fancy shop is hard to get used to with all the room and the cement floor. i'm glad i'm not paying the heat bill. champion graders are nice to work on and the place in edmonton does a super job on getting the parts which are the correct ones.

steve simms, thansk for the emails and we are on track on the repairs to this machine. we popped the front wheel hub apart and have our list of bearings, seals and shim kits ready to be ordered first thing monday morning.

thansk
KoO
Published Author

Attachments

• 740 rear wheel seal sept 12 2010.jpg
    740 rear wheel seal sept 12 2010.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 948
Last edited:

Championized

You are welcome. Make sure you get the right oil to put back in. Gone are the days of just using any old oil in the tandems!

King of Obsolete

Occupation
marketing my life style
yes buddy barry will be doing the 600 km round trip for supplys this week and oil is on the list. we don't like using what we have in stock because we will be out of stock and need oil for sure. one of the joys of living at the end of the world is having your bank account tied up in stock so you have it when you need it.

thansk
KoO
Published Author

MitchSA

While its on the pit, check the bolts that hold the tandems to the diff housing. Had a G720B Volvo the other day that broke 8 due to them being loose. Changed the small sprocket/hub aswell recently as it stripped the splines where it goes onto the side shaft.

stevemc

Not sure if you have everything back together but... There was a problem in the early 1990 units with the sprocket wearing causing you to loose your preload and causing the wheel seal to leak. This problem popped up again in the early Series IV graders. If your having trouble getting your preload check out your sprocket. If you need any parts give us a call and we can get them right out to you. 1-800-663-0715