• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1996 cats d5c dozer water/fuel separator?

Good morning everyone. I have a 1996 cat dozer d5c (9DL01415) and can’t find the fuel/water separator does it has one?
Also I want to replace the radiator cap but can’t see for how many lb do I get it for?

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I have a 1996 cat dozer d5c (9DL01415) and can’t find the fuel/water separator does it has one?
If it is original the fuel/water separator should be on the rear RH close to the fuel tank. #6 on the illustration.

1705416693643.png
Also I want to replace the radiator cap but can’t see for how many lb do I get it for?
The radiator cap is a 3Y-2511 and nowhere in the system does it state what the pressure relief specification is. That being the case in your position I would buy a replacement cap from Cat.

It sounds as though you are doing your own maintenance. Do you have an Operation & Maintenance Manual (O&M) for it yet.? The Cat publication is SEBU6731 and you can get a brand-new one for around $50 either as a CD or as a downloadable pdf file. So don't go paying over the odds on eBay for a 20 year-old dog-eared manual.

Hello. I have ck their before and didn’t see it under The seat by the fuel tank.
And yes I did the oil change, fuel filter, oil filter and air filter already on it. But couldn’t find the water/fuel separator anywhere. I did buy all the stuff at cat deal but forgot to ask about the separator. Sorry I don’t have the operation n maintance manuel. I will look to see if I can do it a pdf file. I don’t buy anything on eBay Thks for the head ups. Any other place I can look for that separator?

Nige

Any other place I can look for that separator?
That is where it is supposed to be located. Check at that location to see if the fuel lines have been "modified" by someone removing the water separator is the only thing I can suggest. Post some photos if you are not sure.

I don’t have the operation n maintance manuel. I will look to see if I can do it a pdf file
If you want a downloadable pdf then click HERE, put SEBU6731 in the box and click Search. You can have it within 5 minutes. CD or papaer options are also listed but will have additional S&H charges on top of the posted prices.

1705418840265.png

FWD

I bought a Cat 936 loader that had no manuals. I bought a Cat reprint operators manual, an original Cat parts book and an original Cat service manual all from different sellers on Ebay. All were in very good condition and a decent price.

FWD

Nige

Another thought regarding water. Have you located the drain valve on the bottom of the tank yet and tried opening it to see what comes out.?

I bought a Cat reprint operators manual, an original Cat parts book and an original Cat service manual all from different sellers on Ebay. All were in very good condition and a decent price.
I'm sure there must be some decently-priced used manuals on internet sites including eBay, but as an example the first thing I found when searching for something for the OP's machine a few minutes ago was a 20 year-old paper manual priced at $70 + S&H when a brand-new one is available for $61...!! WTF..?

FWD

Nige, I know what you are saying is true. My 936 loader does not have the coolant temp gauge, only an idiot light. There is a correct new gauge on Ebay, but I can buy the new one from my dealer for less than the Ebay gauge. You have to watch all these parts on Ebay etc. At times they will show the original part, but what comes is a cheap knockoff. Manuals too, even though priced okay, may be well used, dirty, folded pages etc.
FWD